05

Corbyn had left three hours after. He was hoping to kill some time before a group project, but I didn't mind. Since I didn't have anything else to do, I put on some movie that was available and decided to watch that. Hours had passed, and I had barely moved from my spot in bed, the laptop playing a third movie. Mom had entered to tell me that she was going out with her friends, and I assured her I'd be fine at home alone.

"There's money in the drawer if you want to buy something." With that, she left and I was alone with my movies, not entirely sure of what else to do. I wasn't hungry, so I continued watching. Little did I know that the sun had completely set, and it was dark outside. I checked the time to see that it was a few minutes to eleven. I wonder if Brennan still had something in mind. As if on cue, my phone vibrated beside me, the screen lighting to show me a message.

@brenntann: i hope you're ready and not lying around being a bum

@seaveydaniel: not in the mood, brennan

@brenntann: come on, peter pan, let's have some fun :D

@seaveydaniel: don't you have any other friends?

@brenntann: im at your door, open up

Furrowing my brows, I pushed myself up with a groan. After the talk with Corbyn, I'm trying to not cave into her demands even if they seemed quite interesting. Hesitantly, I pulled the door open and there she stood wearing all black, including a cap to cover her dyed hair.

"Dress in all black, I'll meet you in the car in ten minutes," she ordered, before shoving something to my chest, "and wear those." She walked towards her car, and I looked down to see what she had handed me; a pair of gloves and a mask. Now I was really confused, and because of my curiosity, I gave in and went back to my room to change into darker clothing.

Pulling a black shirt and black jeans, I zipped up my hoodie halfway before wearing the gloves she had given me and stuffing the mask in my pocket. There was a lingering feeling of fear at the moment, but my curiosity overshadowed the feeling, making the decision for me. Initially, I knew it would've been a bad idea to continue this... thing with her. I couldn't help it though.

I grabbed the keys of my house, locking the door behind me and jogged quickly towards Brennan's car, pulling the passenger door open and sliding in. I caught sight of a duffle bag in the backseat, and averted a question about it to her. "What are we doing?"

She didn't answer, instead locked the doors and put the car in drive, revving the engine and driving out of my neighborhood. "Hey, you didn't answer my question."

"We're going to go to a bridge," she answered vaguely, causing me to stare at the side of her face in annoyance. "I needed you to get in the car with me and leave your house before I tell you so you can't back down." My brows had a created a deeper crease between them as I tried to catch onto what she was trying to say. My lack of knowledge caused her to sigh, "Just open the bag."

I reached behind, pulling the bag onto my lap and unzipping it to reveal a few cans of spray paint. We're going to vandalize? Panic started to set in as I realized what I had gotten myself into. Gosh, I knew curiosity came with being smart, but why can't I tell the difference between wanting to know why the World War was caused and why this girl is asking me to accompany her at such a late hour?

I might be smart, but I can an idiot.

"Bring me back home," I told her, zipping the bag up. "You should too, we can't do this—we're not allowed to do this, Brennan."

"Yeah and people shouldn't murder but that doesn't stop anyone, does it?" She glares at me, rolling her eyes. "Loosen up, Daniel, it's only the Hudson bridge—nothing's special about an abandon bridge."

"It's still no excuse for causing a crime."

"It's not a crime if we don't get caught, Peter Pan," she smirked, flipping her cap so it was backwards. I looked out of the window and saw that she had parked right in front of the location of the Hudson bridge. It was this old bridge that cars would sometimes pass, but rarely now as there was a huge hole in the middle of it from a landslide a few years back. The sides of the bridge were covered in graffiti, with only a few spots bare.

"Get out, and don't think of running away because I doubt you know your way around," she warned, "I'm going to park the car somewhere else to avoid being seen."

"So we are going to get caught," I stated.

"That would be exciting." Knowing that I can't escape at all, since I wasn't familiar with anything else in the area, I exited her car and stood by a tree not too far from the bridge. She drove her car further in the woods, before I could barely see the light from the headlights. Her figure came jogging back, the duffle bag slung over her shoulder as she approached with the same wide smile, her eyes gleaming with mischief.

"Shall we?" She asked, pulling out a spray can before shaking it. "I heard you're quite the artist, Seavey."

"Not really," I muttered. I learnt a lot from Corbyn since he takes an interest with art, but I'm not as good as he is. She tossed me a can which I caught, and examined it. She gave me the color white. What am I supposed to do with this? She walked towards the bridge, standing close enough before she pulled up a mask over her nose and popped the lid open. I've heard rumors of Brennan being skilled in art as well, Corbyn had told me of a girl that would create random posters that she would stick around the school.

I remembered one poster; a silhouette of a girl, the details of the lower part of her face we painted, but there was a rose painted in the middle of her chest. I watched as Brennan drew the same exact thing on the wall of the bridge and I couldn't help but stare at her in awe.

"Come on, Peter Pan, if you don't hurry up, I might as well call the police on you," she warned, but her tone was teasing. Rolling my eyes, I pulled out the mask from my pocket, putting it on and standing beside her. I froze.

I'm about to commit vandalism—a crime. I look over to Brennan, her eyes focused on detailing her painting as nice as possible before she faced me, then pulled her mask down. "If you scared, you shouldn't—sometimes you need to break a law to feel alive, which is something you obviously need." She chuckled.

"Easy for you to say," I muttered, pulling the mask up to cover my nose and mouth. I popped the lid open before positioning my hand towards the bridge. Again, I froze.

"What's wrong now?" She asked, an exasperated sigh escaping her mouth.

"I shouldn't be doing this."

"No shit, Sherlock."

"I'm not doing this," I rephrased, "I'm not going to succumb to what you always do, Brennan—I'm not a damn criminal."

"You're scared you'll get caught? Oh please, getting caught is the least of your problem," she said, "you're afraid of what people might think of you if they found out you did this, huh?"

"So what if I am?" I snapped. "I'm not going to ruin my reputation just because you're lonely."

"Stop assuming shit, I'm here trying to help you!"

"I don't need your help, Brennan and I don't need any help because I was perfectly fine before you came," I yelled back. "Honestly, just go back to where you came from—" I was cut off with the sound of a siren, both Brennan and my eyes widening before we glanced to our side, a police car approaching us.

Damnit. My head hung low as I slowly faced them, about to lift my hand when I felt her hand grip my wrist, tugging me before we both began running full-speed towards the woods.