IX

Connor and I had been dating for nearly a month now and I was beyond content. Never before had I felt so safe with a person and able to talk to them about anything, but I still felt a little guilty. With my condition, I couldn't exactly take him on normal dates so we spent a lot of time together at night; it was the only time I could act normal.

This had resulted in Connor's sleep schedule deteriorating to something that was effecting him a lot. The kid looked barely awake by the time he came out of school, and he'd only get a few hours nap in before it was time to head out for the evening. He didn't come every night, because I think it would kill him, and I begged him to get enough sleep rather than to join me.

Plus, I had been trying to reign it in like Connor had asked, and we spent most evenings either together hanging out or with him napping while I did my art. Whenever I did want to go out, however, he came with me for a midnight stroll and went wherever I went. We had gone back to the woods, to the skatepark, to the beach and one night we had even broke into the pool and had a late-night swim. Connor enjoyed swimming a lot and I enjoyed watching Connor half naked having fun and splashing around, so everyone won.

Having somebody with me for my late night adventures made them enjoyable, instead of lonely, and I had never had so much fun as I had over the last month. School would be coming to an end for Connor soon and I was excited for a whole summer of hanging out.

At the moment, I would pick Connor up from school everyday before picking up the twins and Mary and then we would all hang out around my house until dinner. Then, when everyone went to bed, I'd jump out of my window and find Connor strolling out of the front door. I helped him with his homework and he let me use him for my art. It meant that my sketch book was mostly him at this point, but I didn't mind.

Every time we kissed I felt my heart soar at the feeling. I couldn't believe how lucky I was to be with him.

Right now, we were curled up on my bed watching something on the television. Per usual, however, my head was in the clouds thinking about him as I studied his joy at what was on the screen. Connor felt like a ray of sunshine in my dim life.

He was cuddled into my side with his arms wrapped around my waist and his chin on my chest as I had my arm wrapped around his shoulder. Every time he laughed at the show it vibrated against my chest, making me laugh too since it tickled. Connor thought I was laughing along to the show, but I hadn't even looked at the screen once.

Even our mums got along and they had hung out once or twice, having a wine and takeout night while the girls had their sleepover. My mum had gotten her wish: friends her own age she could invite over for a glass of wine and some gossip. The thought made me smile; I often worried that my mum was lonely since Dad had left but lately she had been smiling a lot more. It was very reassuring. 

Everything seemed perfect and serene. It was almost hard to believe this was my life; the little bundle of happiness next to me had made me this way and I couldn't thank him more for it, even if it had made me a bit soppy.

"Are you going out tonight?" Connor asked, stifling a yawn as he peered up at me.

Unable to resist the temptation, I ducked down and pecked his lips gently; he was just too cute.

"I think I will because I haven't been out all week and I want to stretch my legs. You should stay home and get some sleep, though." I tried to convince him, since he seemed quite tired tonight.

 I really was a bad influence on him and his sleep schedule, so I wanted to try and make that at least a little better.

"Daxx!" Connor groaned, "You know I like going out with you. It's our version of date night, except it lasts until the sun rises. It's really special to me, so who cares about sleep?"