Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter Twenty-Four

Elle

       “Elle! Nick! I’m so happy you’re here!” Meredith said, ushering us into the house. “Blake is working and Jack has a football game! Fall is always so crazy!”

       “I know exactly where you’re coming from,” I said, noting that she was dressed in pants suit, looking rather professional.

       “You two don’t even know how big a help you are!” she said, taking a sip from the Styrofoam cup that was in her hand. “Kids! Elle and Nick are here!”

       “So, Jack has a football game. Does that mean that we’re taking Jack, or all of them?” I asked, seeking clarification for the whereabouts of the other two for the afternoon.

       “Though they most likely will protest, Kennedy and Bella are to support their brother at his football game. Get Bella an ice cream or something and she’ll be fine. Kennedy is the harder sell,” Meredith said, as multiple pairs of feet were heard stomping down that staircase.

       “Nick!” Bella screamed, removing her hand from the railing, and gliding past the banister. She charged into Nick, giving him a big hug.

       “Hi,” Nick said calmly, as she backed up from their embrace.

       “What happened to your hand?” the tot asked, pointing to Nick’s… battle wound. As awful as it was, it still made me smirk every time anyone brought up his injury.

       “I hit it against a wall by accident,” he said simply, brushing it off as if it were no big deal.

       “Oh,” she said, accepting the answer.

       “Are you okay?” Meredith questioned, now taking an interest in Nick.

       “I’m fine,” he said, facing her.

       “You look different,” Kennedy stated.

       “Maybe,” Nick smiled. Compared to the first time he had interacted with the kids, he did look different.

       The first point of contact Nick had had with them he was wearing darker colors and looked straight up sketchy. Before we came over, I reminded him about his first impression on Meredith, and we both agreed that his second impression should be one of a higher standard. He was currently wearing boat shoes, a pink polo, and stripped shorts. It was a much better look for him than ripped jeans and T-shirts. Though the style irked me, preppy suited him.

       “I expect to be back at around six or so. I’ll put Bella to bed when I get back, but if you two could do dinner, that’d be great,” Meredith said, slinging a black, hefty, leather purse over her shoulder, and approaching the door.

       “Mommy, don’t go!” Bella cried, running over to her and wrapping her arms around Meredith’s leg.

       “Bella, I love you, but I have to go. Nick and Elle are here, and you still have Kenny and Jack,” Meredith said evenly.

       “Do you want to go color, Bella?” Nick proposed helpfully.

       “Yeah!” she said, detaching herself from her mother and skipping off with Nick to another region of the house.

       “She’s annoying!” Kennedy whined.

       “So are you,” Jack said.

       “Please don’t argue,” Meredith begged, opening up the door. “Elle, I wish you luck. Love you guys! Bye!” She exited the house, closing the door securely behind her.