Chapter 33

"Ah Mr. McGregor, fancy seeing you here," Anderson said turning around in his seat, "Have a seat with us." 

For a moment she could not read the expression on James his face, and whatever the expression was it was soon masked by a carefully practiced smile. 

"Well I won't say no to that," he said, his eyes on Elizabeth. As he sat down he immediately called over a waiter. "Have you two already had lunch?" He asked the both of them, but only really looking at Elizabeth. 

"No. Actually, I think we were to caught up in conversation to order." Anderson replied with a sly smile on his face. 

"Well we cannot let the lady starve now can we?" James replied mimicking his smile. With one movement of his hand, James had called over a waiter. 

The short stocky man all but ran over as soon as James his hand went up in the air. "Yes, sir?" The waiter panted slightly. 

"Three menu's please," James said not glancing at the waiter. 

Elizabeth frowned slightly at that behavior, what was he playing at?

"So McGregor, hows the hunt for personal assistants going?" 

"Well you know how it is, they come and they go. This one is actually quite ok. I've kept her for a week now." James said chuckling. 

"My my, well you should've just never let this one go," Anderson said gesturing to Elizabeth.

"It was not so much a question of letting go, more one of having the inevitable happen really," Elizabeth said in an icy tone, "But now Mr. Anderson if you do not mind, I think I should get going, as our meeting has come to an end." 

Elizabeth was about to stand up but was stopped by someone gently grabbing her arm. "Now Elizabeth, why don't you stay? I didn't mean to interrupt your meeting." James said with a sly smile. 

"You haven't even had lunch yet," Anderson added, causing Elizabeth to purse her lips. 

"I would hardly call it appropriate to stay. Besides, I have a meeting I need to prepare for." She said standing up. "Mr. McGregor, I see you this afternoon. Mr. Anderson, I shall give the notes from this meeting to Oscar, and it was nice meeting you." 

It was three hours later when Elizabeth next saw James. Both she and Daniel were already sitting in the conference room when Paul brought James in. 

As he walked in he had a stern look on his face and gave a very short thank you to Paul before he sat down. 

"Ah Mr. McGregor, how are you today." Daniel started standing up to shake his hand. 

The expression on James his face, however, didn't falter as he shook his hand and said a quick, "Good as always."

"Mr. McGregor," Elizabeth said with a little nod as she shook his hand. "Elizabeth." He said with a small smile and a nod as well. 

When he said her first name her eyebrows rose ever so slightly. Of course, he had called her that before but she didn't know what to think when he did so in this environment. 

"Well Elizabeth, show the man the new drawings," Daniel said nudging her gently. 

"Yes, right." She grabbed the drawings and showed them to him. "Here."

For the next forty-five minutes, the three of them sat there discussing the layout and style of the mansion. In that conversation, several things became clear, first of all, that he really know what kind of house he wanted. And second of all, that Daniel is oblivious of the flirting between the other two in the room. 

The three of them were about to leave the room when James grabbed her arm once more. "Not so fast milady." He said jokingly. 

She turned around to face him, only to get flustered by how close they actually were together. "Now I finally have you alone again." He said, whilst moving to wrap his arm around her waist. 

"Alone in a conference room with glass walls." She said looking into his eyes. 

"Doesn't that just make it more exciting?" He said jokingly. 

With papers in his hands, Paul rounded the corner. At first, he was lost in thought, thinking about all the things he still had to get done that day. Every thought, however, left his mind as he got a glimpse of something he wasn't expecting. 

There was Elizabeth, hands lost somewhere in James his hair and passionately kissing him. The tall, handsome man whom she was kissing was holding onto her as if she would disappear once he'd let her go. 

At that moment Paul nearly dropped everything he was holding, before recomposing himself. 

Elizabeth didn't hear as the conference room door opened. What she, however, did hear was Paul clearing his throat. 

Feeling caught red handed she pushed herself away from face and took a step back and straightened her skirt. 

"I'm sorry but this room is reserved for a meeting," Paul said with an innocent smirk on his face. 

Elizabeth nodded and started grabbing her stuff. "Oh and your next appointment called, he will be here in fifteen minutes." He added.

Elizabeth gathered her stuff and together with James she was about to leave the office. "Thank you for reminding me Paul." She said. 

"You've got some lipstick right here." Paul said pointing at slightly above his lip. Elizabeth was about to remove it when Paul added, "O not you sweety, handsome over there. Well have a nice day." and with a sly smile on his face he left.

Elizabeth looked at James and saw him wiping of the lipstick very quickly. "So I'll see you tonight?" He said moving closer again to her. 

"Tonight?" She asked. 

"Yes, how about I make you dinner?" He said smirking. 

"You? and Cooking?"

"What? Why wouldn't I?"

"You just don't strike me as the person." She said as she started to walk away from him. 

"Well maybe you just don't know everything about me." He said moving to walk beside her. 

"Alright," She said, "Tonight 7 o'clock I'll be at your house." 

"My my demanding aren't we?" He said, "Now at least give me a goodbye kiss." 

"And ruin my lipstick again?" She said as he grabbed her by the arm. 

"O come on, that's already a lost cause." He said smirking, caging her in between his arms. 

"Elizabeth stop your flirting, you have a meeting." Paul yelled, momentarily taking James by surprise and Elizabeth slipped out underneath his arms. 

"I'm sorry, I really gotta go." She said. "You know, I have to redo my lipstick and all." She smirked at him as she walked away. 

"See you tonight!" He yelled after her, smiling and shaking his head.