Chapter Thirty-Six

Cong Shu Lan chewed hard on her lips. This puny little Second Wife dared to make her look bad? She pulled on her brother's hand, who was ogling Da Fan.

"Brother, you must help me teach her a lesson," she hissed.

Cong Lu Zhang unconsciously nodded his head. This was an opportunity. The siblings stayed side by side, whispering as the waiters got their table ready.

Cong Lu Zhang followed behind Cong Shu Lan and Da Fan to a corner table. The patrons who had been watching the whole show started to return to their own conversations. After all, the drama was finished.

Da Fan felt her head hurt from sitting and talking to these siblings for the past fifteen minutes. Cong Shu Lan talked the entire time about herself; she gave a whole new meaning to the word 'self-absorb'.

"You're so beautiful, Second Madam."

Da Fan was taken aback by the sudden statement. This woman talked about herself the entire time, and now she was complimenting her?

'Who knew ivory could come from a dog's mouth?" Da Fan thought to herself.

Cong Shu Lan frowned and elbowed her brother in the waist when she realized he wasn't paying any attention to her.

"Brother, doesn't Second Madam look beautiful?"

Da Fan eyed the two suspiciously. Just what was Cong Shu Lan playing at?

Cong Lu Zhang nodded his head, staring lecherously at Da Fan. Meirin, at her side, snorted in disgust.

"Yes, Second Madam is extremely beautiful."

"Second Princess, Young Master Cong, my madam is the Second Madam of Minister Feng. Would you please be so kind as to not taint her reputation?"

"Impudent!" Like a chicken that had its feathers plucked, Cong Shu Lan pointed her finger at Meirin. "What kind of servant are you that you dare to criticize this Princess?"

At this point, Cong Shu Lan's loud voice had turned the bustling pavilion into a quiet settlement.

Cong Shu Lan turned to Da Fan. "Well, aren't you going to reprimand your servant? As they say, the servant's behaviour is the Master's behaviour."

Da Fan rolled her eyes. "Second Princess, I do apologize for my servant's choice of words. But she is only after my best interest. You cannot expect her to keep quiet after you asked your brother that question. I am a married woman, and your words make it seem like I am meeting a marriage partner. I assure you that I am not."

Cong Shu Lan's face turned blue, then purple, then black. "Why are you acting this way, Second Madam?"

Cong Shu Lan made sure the entire pavilion could hear their conversation. "I was paying you a compliment."

At this point, the patrons of the tea pavilion were trying to make heads or tails of the conversation, but it made no sense to them.

"I know I am a beautiful woman, Second Princess. What I don't need is you telling your brother to tell me that."

Da Fan's words seemed arrogant but sensible. Why would you tell your brother to call a married woman that? Everyone knew that the Second Madam of the Feng Household was beautiful, but saying it in an intimate setting like this? It could only spell trouble. If anyone heard and Da Fan had answered, her reputation would be called into question. She would be labelled as an adulterer.

Cong Shu Lan was speechless. How should she answer? She heard the one-sided gossiping and whispering. Wasn't it Da Fan's reputation that was supposed to be in tatters and not hers?

Da Fan shook her head helplessly and beckoned Meirin over to her. "Meirin, apologize to the Princess."

Meirin bowed her head. "My choice of words were wrong, Second Princess. I heard things about Young Master Cong and his reputation; I assumed wrong."

The crowd nodded their heads. Flower pants Young Master Cong, no wonder Second Madam Feng was concerned.

Con Lu Zhang was so dumbfounded that he wanted to spit blood. How was that an apology? Didn't she sink him further into the abyss of darkness? Cong Lu Zhang wondered how it came to this. Second Madam and her maid's mouth really were sharper than a sword.

To save his sister and his house's face, Cong Lu Zhang grabbed his sister and dragged her off of the chair and bowed to Da Fan. "I am sorry for my sister's lack of consideration. I hope Second Madam forgives her."

Da Fan gave an ambiguous smile. "I forgive Second Princess, but I do hope she takes care next time."

Cong Lu Zhang bowed once more to Da Fan and pulled Cong Shu Lan out of the Heavenly Tea Pavilion. It was only when he ushered her into the carriage that Cong Shu Lan returned to her senses.

"That witch, she ruined me."

Cong Lu Zhang could only sigh at his sister's antics. Madam Da Fan was truly a fine speaker.