50's/60's series - arthur shelby: my girl.

A SERIES OF IMAGINES FOR A PEAKY BLINDER CHARACTER THAT IS BASED ON A SONG FROM THE 50'S OR 60'S.

[ SONG USED FOR THIS IMAGINE - MY GIRL BY THE TEMPTATIONS ]

To every person outside of the relationship, Arthur Shelby was what some would consider malicious, a man severely affected by the war and a criminal, one of the wickedest. There was a violent streak, like his fathers, that ran through his veins and exploded during a fit of fury - typically when someone went against the family but recently, it had been whenever someone had looked at you the wrong way. Arthur feared that you would become a victim and nothing but a walking disaster because of the ways that the Shelby lifestyle worked; he would do anything to protect you.

It was during a church ceremony that you and Arthur met. The rest of the church had been in shock as they watched the eldest of the Shelby brother's mouth along to the prayer that was being read out by the highest authoritative figure. For the whole service, your eyes remained on Arthur as you smiled tenderly to yourself. Occasionally, Arthur's eyes would meet yours, but it was only for a brief second before he looked away again, his eyes stuck to the bible in front of him.

Seasons changed and so did yours and Arthur's relationship. Thankfully, he had been the one to walk over to you and discuss things to do with the church, but you saw behind his words; he wasn't interested in the church anymore. The only reason he had been attending was, so he could see you dressed up in your Sunday best, singing along to one of the hymns and chatting with the other inhabitants.

"Only planned on going to church once," he told you one day. Arthur had you pressed against the wall behind the church, away from your hypercritical parents who would rather decease than see you date a Shelby man. Arthur ran one hand along your waist before smiling self-righteously. "And here I am, six months later."

A wild blush was on your cheeks as you looked down at the ground, nerves on fire under the stare of Arthur. "Have the endless amount of prayers been worth it though?" you asked, running one hand across Arthur's cheek. "Have I been worth it?"

It was Arthur's turn to grin like a loved-up teenager as he nodded his head, accepting your warm hand by leaning into the touch. "One hundred perfect, my darling."

"That's good."

You smiled widely as you pressed a simple kiss against Arthur's lips; not wanting to go too far as you were just outside of the church and the chances of someone seeing the two of you together were higher. Arthur found you enticing though, you brought out his soft side that was generally kept buried away and only came out to play when he was at his most vulnerable. There was going to be judgements from your side of the family and perhaps his but the two of you didn't care, too in love to worry about words that others may speak. You were fully grown adults, in love and content with the world.

"You are living in a fantasy world," your mother said when she found out about your forthcoming wedding ceremony. "A Shelby?" Another sigh as she tried to figure out where she had gone wrong and trying to figure out what she had brought up. Your mother had always wanted better from you, way better.

"Maybe but I am happy and that's good. Do you not think?"

"You could be happy with somebody else," she said, her hands moving all over the place. "Arthur Shelby is not the only man in the world and there are others that can give you what he can, just without the additional viciousness and risk of death."

You nodded your head, agreeing with your mother's comments. "But my heart will always be with Arthur."

It was the last time that you spoke to your mother - the Shelby's now becoming your new family. After cutting off all ties with you, completely and utterly humiliated because of your new last name, you moved into a countryside home just on the borders of Birmingham to live with Arthur and start your new life together.

The first six months were the best time of your life. Lazy days became a key thing and Arthur always found the time off work to lay around in bed with you, talking about everything but the business. The rest of the family had recognised you as your own and from time to time you would work down at the betting shop, listening to Esme as she told you the ins and outs of the place. A smile was on your face constantly, but it soon vanished, along with the honeymoon period.

Church became a distant memory, along with the happiness that you once felt with Arthur. No matter what happened, you would always love him, but you had put too much hope into the relationship. You should have known that it wouldn't be plain-sailing and that the business would affect the way that your marriage worked but still, a part of you had hoped for some sort of harmony and a chance of contentment.

It was the third night that Arthur hadn't been home, too busy with the Russian business to care for your own needs. The house that was purchased with corrupt money was lonelier than ever, the only source of entertainment being the dog, Jasper, that you had brought with you from your own home before your marriage to Arthur. There were times when you would understand that the business would come first - it was your main source of income, the only thing that Arthur had ever known, and times were becoming tough for it. The possibility of the Russians making some sort of attack was looming over your head which led to endless nights of not sleeping. If Arthur was there, then you would find it easier knowing that your husband was protecting you, but he wasn't and that broke your heart.

"I feel like you love the business more than you love your own wife," you had said over breakfast after a long-night of staying awake and jumping at every loud bang.

Arthur scoffed before throwing the fork onto the table and leaning back. "That's not true and you know it."

Raising one eyebrow, you mirrored Arthur's actions and decided that it was time for you to take a stand for yourself, show him that you weren't messing around. The thought of running back to your parents frightened you and you didn't want to listen to their comments about how they always knew best.

"I don't actually."

Arthur looked distant as he fiddled with the wedding ring on his finger, twisting it around and debating his choices. You would always come before the business, that he was sure of, but he wanted to protect you and make sure that you lived the best life imaginable, regardless of all the problems that surrounded him.

"I love you, you're my girl."

"I don't feel like it though, Arthur. I feel like I'm just someone that you share a house with - that's when you are here - and someone that cooks you a meal, makes you drinks and tidies up after your mess. This isn't the life that you promised - "

"I'm trying," he cut off, his voice loud and harsh. "Why do you think I'm out there risking my life every single day? It's so I can provide you with the life that you deserve."

Standing up, you moved around until you were sat down on Arthur's lap, your fingers running through his hair. Arthur fell against your chest, his breathing heavy as he frantically thought of ways to put the situation right.

"I gave up everything for you."

"I know," he responded, feeling guilty because he was treating you dreadfully. Everyone was right, he didn't deserve you, but it didn't stop you from loving him. "I want to give you everything."

"I just want you love, Arthur, nothing else. Come home earlier some days, take me on dates, buy me a couple of flowers and I will return the love. We don't need money, fame and fortune to be in love and have a happy marriage, do we?"

Arthur shook his head before looking up at you, his eyes warm and full of love. "I do love you, more than the business."

"I know you do and I love you as well."