50's/60's series - finn shelby: stand by me.

A SERIES OF IMAGINES FOR A PEAKY BLINDER CHARACTER THAT IS BASED ON A SONG FROM THE 50'S OR 60'S.

[ SONG USED FOR THIS IMAGINE - STAND BY ME BY BEN E KING ]

For most of the night, you had been in bed continuously worrying about Finn and what he was getting up to. You had cautioned him about going to the boxing match considering the mafia were still after the family, but he had gone against your instructions, claiming that it was the safest place as there was security and protection.

The sound of your front door banging open at around midnight and the brash footsteps making their way up the flight of steps in your house terrified you straight away and without a second thought, you jumped from your bed and grabbed the gun from the bedside drawer. The gun was slowly lowered as Finn entered your bedroom, out of breath and traumatised.

Finn pressed his back against your door, his coat jacket had been discarded somewhere and his cheeks were bright red, signalling that he had hurried over to your house quickly.

"What's happened?" you cried, hoping it would get Finn out of the daze that he was in.

It was continually rerunning in his mind; the shrieks of the man, the blood, Tommy shouting at him to do it. The situation had happened too quick. One minute they were enjoying the boxing match, watching the two challengers fight and the next minute it was complete chaos. Arthur was dead. Two brothers in the space of one year.

"I was at the boxing match," Finn stated as he took the hat off his head, throwing it onto the bed and looking at it with revulsion. Finn didn't want to be this individual - he loved his brothers, but he didn't like the people they were. After the death of John, he told himself that he would never get into the business dealings but here he was, covered in somebody's body fluid. "And now I'm here."

You rolled your eyes before sauntering over to Finn where you grabbed his hands, squeezing a little to get his attention. "Why have you got blood on your shirt?"

Finn looked down at his clothed body before shaking his head. "God, it was dreadful."

Still confused, you moved your hands to Finn's face and forced him to look at you. For the first time in a while, you saw the ache. It hadn't been since the death of John that you had seen him so hysterical, so disheartened and feeling as if he had no purpose. It was clear whose fault this was, but you didn't want to start throwing around names, despite knowing that you were right about it.

"What did you do?" Your endurance was running thin as you waited for Finn's response – not at Finn, at Tommy. There was a part of you that wanted to storm right round to Tommy's and give him a piece of your mind, but you were nothing to Tommy, just his brothers sweetheart who had no purpose in the family. You were just there to support Finn through all the bullshit that Tommy put him through and there to love him, which you did. When Finn didn't respond, you continued. "I'm guessing that you hurt someone, yeah?"

At that moment, your eyes went back to the infamous cap that Finn had thrown onto the bed sheets and you walked over to it, gasping when you saw the blood-stained razor blades. You closed your eyes for a moment as you tried to digest all of the information that had been given to you through one glance at the cap. Violent Finn was something that you never, ever saw - something that nobody saw - and it was hard to believe that someone like Finn could do such a violent act. Then you remembered who his brother was and suddenly, it didn't shock you anymore. Finn was always heading towards this way of life, there was no escaping it.

"Don't hate me."

Turning around, you looked at Finn with wide eyes before shaking your head. "Never."

"He killed Arthur," Finn sobbed, covering his face with his hands. He felt like an embarrassment, crying because of something so little compared to what the rest of the family had done in the past. "I had to do it. Tommy was - "

"Of course," you muttered, not able to hide your disgust for Tommy any longer. "Did he put you up to this, Finn?"

"No, not really." Finn shrugged his shoulders before grabbing the hat from your hands. "I don't want you to leave me because of this. I know that I have done something dreadful and it's against what you believe in, but this is me, isn't it? I'm a Shelby. I was raised to do this - "

"No," you interrupted again. "You may have the same last name as them, but you are nothing like them, I promise you that." Finn looked between you and the sheets before moving to sit down next to you, his hand resting on your exposed knee. "What's on your mind? Apart from what's happened tonight."

Finn groaned before putting his face in his hands, rubbing his eyes with the top of his fingers. "Do you want me to be honest?" You nodded your head before taking Finn's hand away, so you could hear him properly. Turning his head to the side to look at you, Finn shrugged. "I'm fucking scared."

"About what?"

"Everything. I leave the house and I get scared thinking that I'm going to come back home, and someone is dead, miss John's kids as well, weekends are boring now I've got no one to babysit. This whole mafia drama is just putting me on the edge all the time and I'm petrified to even go out."

"They don't want you though, Finn," you reminded him.

"Doesn't matter. They're merciless and will never be fulfilled. It's only a matter of time before a gun is pressed against my head."

Leaning your forehead against Finn's, you sighed deeply. "That's not going to happen."

Finn's voice was barely noticeable as he spoke, so soft that it was like the words never came from his body. "You don't know that."

"Whatever happens, I will be right there by your side. Through violence and sadness, happiness and love. I'm not letting you go that easy, Finn."

A hint of a smile was on Finn's face as he pressed his lips against his cheek. "You'll stand by me, won't you?"

"Forever."