Chapter Eight|| Making Things Work

{Emily's POV}

"We need to get a tracker down here." Brian said giving up looking over the files as he tossed them angrily on the table.

"Hey! Don't give up now!" I said with a mouth full of noodles.

My team decided to get Chinese takeout and work on case files. After days without being able to eat, I was starved.

"I've looked over these paths and routes he could have taken over and over again. I've got nothing." Brian all but snapped.

"Attitude is high," Tanner warned shooting him a glare and folded his arms looking back at me. "But I do agree with him. I've looked over them and Claire has looked over them. We're going to have to call a tracker from the agency to come up here. We need them on this team. We need him." My eyes widened.

"No! Absolutely not! I am already risking enough bringing you all into it. I am not bringing him into this either. That's final. We can find someone else." I was not bringing him!

And by him I meant Wesley Wilson. He was rarely new at the FBSI and was almost there for two years now. When he came in he rarely talked to anyone, he was shy, and I kinda took him under my wing. I helped him get to where he was today... one of our best trackers.

Trackers in the FBSI are rare. You have to have a gift for it. It was time concerning and killed your brain with all the ways you had to think. You look for possible routes, possible ways to track a suspect, and if they are on an actual trail, they'll find them. I guided him in the direction and even though I didn't have the gift for it, I was still able to help him.

But this guy were after is so good I feel that even a tracker won't catch his trail.

"I know he is like your baby brother to you, but you have to let him out of that cage of comfort you put him in every once in awhile. You can't keep letting him do baby cases. This could be big for him." Claire spoke up and I sighed looking down at my hands.

"I've lost my parents, I've lost Max—maybe not by death, but I lost him—and every day we do this I could lose one of you. I cannot put another person I love in danger."

"He will be fine. He is a strong boy. Look we've been here for awhile now and we're fine. We have each other's backs." Brian bargained.

I thought about it and it hurt my heart thinking of losing Wesley. He reminded me of my father some. He could have his shy moments and he also could be so bold and strong.

"Please." Tanner said and I sighed closing my eyes.

"Fine," I said calmly as possible. "But you two men better watch him like a hawk." I stated sharply looking back at them.

"We will, Em." Tanner said resting his hand on my shoulder and I sighed.

"Im going to call him." Brian said standing.

***

I walked into my room  after leaving Tanner's room and dropped my stuff on my bed. I sat on the edge of it placing my face into my hands.

I just wanted this over! I wanted my life back.

You're a FBSI agent, this is your life! My subconscious spoke.

A soft knock was heard on my door and I wanted to groan. Could I just have ten minutes of peace and quiet?!

"What?" I snapped sitting up.

The door knob turned and I cursed myself for not locking it.

"Someones angry." His husky voice drifted through my ears and as the door fully opened my eyes landed on his perfect features.