Chapter 36

It's official.

Worst. Birthday. Ever.

But if you think it can't get any worse, just wait, because this evening is far from over and the encounter I've just witnessed between Jake and Kendra was only the tip of the iceberg. Everything, and I do mean everything, was about to go wrong.

"What the hell is going on?" I demanded, too angry to walk away but not angry enough to start beating them. Not yet anyways.

What an odd sensation, to be standing in front of my supposed 'boyfriend' – catching him in the act of cheating with the completion to our triangle – but feeling nothing. I can't say that I'm surprised, especially after the way Kendra was behaving at breakfast this morning, but to be here while it was happening was a liminal experience that left my body feeling tingly as though instead of blood, my veins carried static. What an odd sensation indeed.

And insulting as hell.

"Shit, Sadie." Someone mumbled, I wasn't sure who said it only that it had been spoken by one of the owners to the knot of limbs still tangled on the bed. The atmosphere of the room plummeted drastically and two naked figures turned to look at me, and let's just say the sight wasn't pretty.

I whirled away from them, covering my eyes in the process although the damage was already done. What sat on that bed was now permanently seared into my brain and would buffer my nightmares for years to come.

The bed springs whined as someone stood and clothes rustled furiously as the culprits rushed to cover themselves.

"Sadie, what are you doing here?" I heard Jake question, hair ruffled and chest glistening with a fine layer of sweat. Looks like he was enjoying himself, too bad I ruined it huh? Now dressed in a loose pair of sweatpants, he wandered closer with unfamiliar concern on his face, "Please just let me explain-"

"For the love of god, please don't explain." I said, unleashing glares upon him and the broad now using the sheet to cover herself from where she remained on the bed looking like a fish out of water. Could she honestly be so moronic to think it was a good idea to screw Jake only a few hours after I interrogated her about whether they were having an affair?

Jake took a step closer, hands raised as though confronting a rabid animal, "This isn't what it looks like-"

"Are you kidding me? Spare me the typical fuckboy explanation because it is exactly what it looks like, dipshit." I fired back at him, relatively appalled that he'd try to explain his way out of this with pretentious lies and false justifications. He must think quite low of me if he thought I'd buy any of his bullshit.

When he saw the tears in my eyes, he assumed they were because I caught him cheating. I only came here for him to give me level headed advice on how to stop my father from making the biggest mistake of his life. Now here I am, face to face with a problem I couldn't see coming from a thousand miles away.

Or maybe I did see it coming. Corinth told me from the beginning that Jake was cheating and even before that, there were doubts. Unfortunately, such doubts were woven so deeply into a rash desire for it not to be true that I ignored the signs and turned a blind eye. I could have saved myself a lot of time and effort if I had just listened to my instincts.

But that didn't change anything right now.

Jake reached for me, "Oh babe, please don't cry-"

"Don't you dare touch me, you pig." I ordered, ripping my arms out of his reach. How dare he try to downplay the severity of this situation, and how dare he try to touch me with those deceptive and treacherous hands.