25. Alone

Cee was lost.

Hopelessly, entirely and completely lost.

She shivered in the grey, damp fog that had descended on the city, trying to follow the trail of lights down the street - where there was light, there were people - but she'd almost definitely walked past that closed down cafe earlier.

Cee thought wistfully of her warm coat, back in Niccolò's apartment; he'd be mad when he found out she'd left. Then again, she could've just waited for him - Cee swore under her breath.

She should've waited for him. Niccolò would be so mad again; she hated when he was angry with her. It was his fault for leading her on.

Frustrated with herself, Cee turned the corner at the end of the street: dead end. She turned back, feeling tears burn the back of her throat; she just wanted to go home.

Cee spun around, determined not to cry in public, and walked back down the street, past the empty shop windows and the broken bottles in the street - she was so lost.

She dug her hands in her pockets, keeping her head low as it started to rain - just a light drizzle - but it was almost enough to break her entirely.

City lights, glowing neon skyscrapers, glinted at her menacingly; she was caged in and she had no way of getting found.

Elias muttered furiously to himself, storming out of the lobby and into the cold city air. That stupid, stupid girl was going to get herself killed and - more importantly - piss off Romano.

He turned the corner sharply, striding towards his baby - she was parked neatly in the private car park. He threw the girl's coat into the backseat, screeching out of his parking bay and tearing off down the street.

He glared out the window, looking out for a girl with dark hair and a distinct lack of a coat; his phone rang.

He answered quickly, still searching out the windscreen.

"Elias here."

"What happened?" Niccolò demanded immediately.

"She left."

"How did she get out?" Luckily, Niccolò only sounded mildly murderous, rather than 'ready-to-rampage-Romano'.

"Bitch stole my keycard." Elias swung around a corner carelessly, gritting his teeth. There was a pause; the air in the car froze.

"Say that again." Niccolò's voice was soft, quiet; a threat.

"Are you deaf, boss?" Elias snapped, clenching his hand on the wheel. There was no reply. "Look, I'll get her back, don't worry about-"

"I don't like repeating myself." Elias rolled his eyes.

"The Fiero bitch stole my keycard," he bit out angrily, emphasising each word. "Is that what you wanted to hear?"

"If you disrespect her again, I'll kill you myself. Find her." Elias's jaw dropped as Niccolò ended the call - was he serious?

Elias slammed on his brakes, pulling over roughly; he tried calling back but Niccolò wasn't picking up. He was Niccolò's closest friend - or at least the closest thing Niccolò had to a friend.

As Elias dialled for Niccolò again, light rain began to spatter the windscreen, a storm gathering in the sky.

He gave up, throwing his phone to the passenger side and screeching away from the curb; wherever the hell Camilla was, she couldn't be far and he would find her.

Elias squinted through the rain, searching desperately now for the girl. She'd been out for too long without a coat - if she got ill, Romano would have a fit.