23- Padfoot, Moony and Wormtail

"Hello Peter." Lupin said pleasantly. "Long time no see."

"Sirius, Remus!" Pettigrew squeaked, "my old friends!"

"We've been having a little cat Peter," Lupin shot Sirius a warning look, "about what happened the night Lily and James died, you might've missed the finer points whilst you were squeaking around on the bed."

"Remus! You don't believe him?" Pettigrew seemed to be searching for an exit. "He tried to kill me!"

"So we've heard." Lupin's voice had gone cold, "I'd like to clear up one or two little matters with you Peter!"

"He's come to try and kill me again!" Pettigrew cried out. "He killed Marlene, he killed Lily and James and now he's going to kill me! You've got to help me Remus!"

"No one is going to try and kill you until we've sorted a few things out." Lupin stood between his friends.

"I knew he'd be after me! I've been waiting for this for twelve years!"

"You knew Sirius was going to break out of Azkaban when no one has ever done it before." Lupin asked.

"He's got dark powers some can only dream of!" Pettigrew squealed. "How else did he get out of there, He Who Must Not Be Named taught him a few tricks!"

"Voldemort, teach me tricks," Sirius began to laugh, Pettigrew winced at Voldemort's name. "What, scared to hear your old master's name? I don't blame you, the death eaters aren't very happy with you, I heard things in Azkaban. They all think you're dead, they said all sorts of things in their sleep, they think the double crosser double crossed them!"

"Don't know what you're talking about!" Peter wiped sweat from his forehead.

"I must admit Peter I have a hard time understanding why an innocent man would be in hiding for twelve years as a rat!" Lupin mused.

"Innocent, but scared!" Pettigrew complained, "if Voldemort's supporters were after me it's because I put their best man in prison, the spy Sirius Black."

"If you were hiding from Black why did you hide at the Weasleys?" Venus frowned, "unless you wanted to stay close to me, use me as leverage or something..." She trailed off.

Sirius growled, "you dare!" He glared at Pettigrew, "use my own daughter against me. And I, a spy for Voldemort! When did I ever cower behind those stronger than me? It used to be me, Remus and James didn't it, but then you moved on to bigger and better things didn't you Pettigrew." Sirius spat.

"Me? A spy? Must be out of your mind! Never!" Pettigrew murmered.

"Lily and James only made you secret keeper because I suggested it!" Back hissed, "it must've been the finest moment of your miserable life, telling Voldemort you could hand them the Potters."

"Um.. Mr Black-Sirius," Hemione asked, "if you don't mind me asking how did you get out of Azkaban?"

Black looked as if being addressed politley was something he had long forgotten, "I don't know how I did it." He murmered, "I think that the only reason I didn't lose my mind is because I knew I was innocent. That's not exactly a happy thought so the dementors couldn't take it from me, but it kept me sane, and knowing who I am allowed me to keep my powers. So went it all became too much I could transform in my cell and become a dog. Dementors can't see, they could tell my feelings were less complex as a dog, but they thought I was losing my mind like everyone else in there. So it didn't trouble them. Then I saw Peter in that picture, right next to Venus and perfectly positioned to act and take Harry if one hint of Voldemort reached his ears. I was the only one who knew Pettigrew was still alive, so I had to do something! So one night when they opened my door to bring me food I slipped through the bars and swam to the mainland, I've been living in the Forbidden Forest ever since, except when I spotted Venus roaming the grounds after hours or I came to watch you play Quidditch," Black told them, "you fly as well as your father Harry, and Venus you fly just like Marlene."

"Was she good?" Venus asked.

Black laughed, "very."

He looked at Harry, "believe me I did not betray James and Lily, I would have died before I betrayed them."

Harry seemed to finally believe the man, he nodded.

"No!" Pettigrew fell to his knees, "Sirius- it's me! Peter your friend... You wouldn't..." Sirius kicked out and Pettigrew recoiled.

"There's enough filth on these robes without you touching them."

"You don't believe this Remus!" Pettigrew turned to Lupin, "would Sirius have told you if the plan had changed?"

"Not if he thought I was the spy." Lupin observed, "I assume that's why you didn't tell me Sirius?"

"Forgive me Remus."

"Not at all Padfoot. Will you in turn forgive me for believing you were the spy?"

"Of course," said Black who was now smiling, "shall we kill him together?"

"Yes I think so." Lupin agreed.

Pettigrew scrambled over to Venus and grabbed her robes.

"Venus, sweet Venus, you won't let them kill me will you?" Pettigrew pleaded. Venus kicked him off of her in disgust, "your mother wouldn't have let them kill me, Marlene would have stopped them!"

"You dare mention Marlene's name!" Sirius bellowed, "you're not fit know know her!"

"Harry!" Pettigrew was becoming desperate, "you look just like your father... just like him..."

"HOW DARE YOU SPEAK TO HIM," this was the final straw for Black, "HOW DARE YOU TALK ABOUT THE ONES YOU KILLED IN FRONT OF THEIR CHILDREN!"

"James would have shown me mercy!" Pettigrew continued.

Sirius and Lupin grabbed Pettigrew.

"You sold Lily and James out to Voldemort didn't you!" Lupin pointed his wand at Pettigrew, "do you deny it?"

"You don't understand!" Pettigrew cowered, "he would have killed me-"

"THEN YOU SHOULD HAVE DIED!" Sirius yelled, "DIED RATHER THAN BETRAY YOUR FRIEND, AS WE WOULD HAVE DONE FOR YOU!"

"You should have realised Peter," Lupin said, "that if Voldemort didn't kill you, then we would-"

"No!" Harry yelled.

"Harry this piece of filthy is the reason you have no parents." Black snarled, "he would have seen you die too without turning a hair. His own stinking skin meant more to him than your entire family!"

"I know," Harry panted, "we'll take him to the castle. Hand him over to the dementors. He can go to Azkaban."

"You're the only person with the right to decide," Sirius lowered his wand, "but think of what he did."

"He can go to Azkaban!" Harry said again. "If anyone deserves that place its him."

Lupin tied Pettigrew up and attached him to himself and Ron with heavy manacles. Snape was levitated and the strange procession began their walk up to the castle.

Remember to vote, comment and be amazing!
~Em xx