-F O R T Y-

Chapter 40: Zebra Cakes

I was reluctant to open my eyes. Opening them meant today was here. Indie was leaving for college today, so I was helping her finish her packing. Kira was leaving later on today. Getting up meant facing reality and I wasn't ready for that. I wasn't ready to say goodbye to my friends forever. I knew once we all left for college it would be hard, but that was before I found out I was dying.

Now it's impossible.

A few more minutes of sulking in bed passed before I decided to get up. After all, time still went on. The longer I stayed in bed, the less time I'd get to see my best friends. I rolled out of bed and got dressed. I pulled on a blue cropped hoodie and shorts. I skipped doing makeup. I didn't have enough time to waste on it. I pulled my hair into a bun and texted Kira.

She arrived within minutes wearing the same sad expression I was. I took my seat in the passenger seat, "This is actually happening."

"Yeah, it is," She said, not believing it herself. "Can we go back?"

"I wish," I sighed.

She sighed with me and drove us to Indie's house. We got there shortly after and saw Indie sitting on her steps. Her head was resting in her hands, hair covering her face. Kira and I quickly got out of the car and rushed over to her. We both threw our arms around her.

"Please don't hug me. You're gonna make me cry my makeup off and this mascara is expensive."

I chuckled, pulling away from Indie, "Wouldn't want that!"

Kira rolled her eyes, "Why are we so dramatic? We can still visit each other. Besides that, we have technology!"

Indie turned to her, "Let us have our moment!"

We sat on those steps talking a reminiscing for a while. It was nice recalling memories that I hadn't thought about in a long time. It was like we were back in school, laughing and joking like old times. This made me want to cry even more, but I held back my tears for my friends' sake. They deserved this moment of pure happiness.

Eventually, we went up to Indie's room to help her finish packing. Her room was so much emptier than it was just yesterday. Her pictures were packed away along with her pillows and clothes. Even her stuffed animals were going with her. She had to leave early in order to get some shopping for her dorm, which meant her bedspread was staying here. She didn't want to take everything out of her room.

As we were packing away the last few things on her list, there was a knock on the door. Bradley stood there, a sad smile spread across his face. He was driving her to the airport. The feeling of dread washed over me again when I saw that sad smile. Bradley was either smiling or he wasn't. There was no in between. I knew this entire situation hurt him too. He would miss his girlfriend just as much as we would.

"It takes twenty minutes to get to the airport and your flight's in forty," Bradley sighed. "We have to get going."

Indie nodded and turned to us, "Well shit."

I chuckled quietly. I glanced over at Kira who was in tears. She ran to Indie, pulling her into a tight hug. I shook my head, doing my best not to cry with her.

"I'm gonna miss you, In," Kira sniffled.

"Hey," Indie pulled back, holding Kira's shoulders. "We have technology, remember? Think of this as another one of my trips across America."

Kira nodded sadly, wiping her cheek. Indie came over and wrapped her arms around me. Immediately, I felt a tear slip down my cheek. I sniffled, holding her closer. I savored the feeling of my best friend hugging me. I knew it would be one of the last times. The thought made me cry harder.