Chapter 2 - magic

"Hey, do you know how to use me?"  Sam heard a voice talking to him after pressing the button but he had no idea where the voice came from. He looked around.  Clearly he was the only human in the area.

"Hey, I am talking to you"

"Me?"

"Yes, you."

"Who am I speaking with? Where are you?  How come I can't see you?"  Sam looked up and turned his head to where he thought the voice came from.

"I am right here."

"Where?"

"You are holding me."

Sam looked down, stared at the device and scratched his head.  It did not sound like the voice was coming from the device.

"I can speak directly to your mind through brain waves.  That's why you heard me speaking without any sound coming out of me.  By the way, you are the only person who can hear me talking because I communicate directly to your brain."

Sam was stunned.  He didn't even know how to react.

"I came here this morning.  I have been waiting for you to pick me up."

"Where did you come from?"  Sam asked.

"The future.  Hard to explain.  You will tell you later."

"What do you mean?"

"Told you.  Hard to explain.  But you will understand this in a few hours."

Sam didn't know what to say.  And then he remembered he never answered the "Hey, do you know how to use me?" question.

"Let me bring you home first."

***

"You mean you can bring someone from the future?"

Sam made sure he locked the door while he was talking.  No one would believe what just happened.  In fact, he had a hard time to convince himself that he was not dreaming!  It's better for him to sort out what's going on before he would even considered telling anyone.

"Yes.  I am a disposable time travel machine.  When I say disposable, I mean I can only be used a handful of times before I run out of power.  Do you have anyone in mind?"

"Let me think about it."

Looking at the stack of math homework, all in a sudden Sam had an interesting idea.