Bus

January 21st, 1959. 11:42 am, The Bus Depot

Buddy and I pull up to the bus depot and I sigh. I'm not mentally prepared to spend the next twenty four days with people.

We climb out of the car and pop the trunk, grabbing our bags.

Dion sees us and runs up. "Hey!"

"Hey, Dion!" I smile, putting down my bags and hugging him.

We let go of each other and he smiles. "Y'know, we really should spend more time together. We live in the same city!"

I nod and pick my bags up again. "We do end up third-wheeling Buddy... which I don't feel bad about." I laugh. Dion and I are like siblings, we just seem to understand each other. Not in the same way that Buddy and I do. Buddy and I are almost like the same person at this point. We spend so much time together that we've rubbed off on each other. We're on the same mental wavelink. While Dion and I just get each other. We aren't the same by any means, but we just kinda click, I guess.

"BFFs, am I right?" Dion smiles and takes my bigger bag. "Wow, heavy."

I laugh and nod. "BFFs forever!"

He leads us over to...Jesus Christ, a yellow school bus. This is going to be a very, very long tour. Dion puts my bag under the bus and motions for Buddy and I to hand over the other bags. He's such a sweet guy. I keep my purse. I would die without my chapstick or lotion and whatever other junk I keep in there.

A younger looking guy comes over to us. I recognize him as Ritchie Valens. He's only an inch or two taller than me, but he's definitely not done growing.

"Hi, I'm Ritchie Valens. It's great to meet you." Ritchie holds out his hand to Buddy.

"Buddy Holly, love your music." Buddy smiles and shakes his hand.

"And I love yours." Ritchie turns to me. "Hey, I'm Ritchie."

"Ritchie. I'm Violet, great to see you." I smile and he takes my hand, much more lightly shaking it.

We stand there and chat for a while, the four of us.
"I want a newspaper." Dion mentions.

"Oh, I can go grab one. There's a stand across the street and down about half a block." I smile. I want to leave them alone. They're talking about things that I don't quite understand.

Dion reaches in his pocket and fishes out a quarter. "Here."

I let go of Buddy's hand and start over to the stand.

I get there and wait for the clerk to come over. He comes out from behind one of the racks. "What can I do for ya?"

"Uh, one copy of todays paper, si vou- I mean, please."

"A quarter." The man states and reaches below the counter, grabbing a paper.

I hand him the quarter. He smiles. "What were you gonna say?"

"Si vous plaît..."

"Please in French? My grandmother spoke French."

"Thats cool! Well, thanks for the paper."

"Thanks for your business."

I walk down the street and pull to the side and look at the paper.

Holy shit.

Is Violet Holly the New Beauty Icon?

No fucking way.

I scoff and accidentally say "Nope!" outloud. My face is plastered on the front of the news paper.