Chapter 16

The image of squid Loki stuck to my head, because when Thor and Loki stop by two days later I start laughing again. Thor easily laughs with me, not needing to know what it's about to have a laugh. Loki just looks at me, one eyebrow cocked. But I spot the hint of a smile, so at least he's in a better mood than last time.

They got in at the end of my shift and when I'm done I take the stool next to Loki to have tea with him. We're at the end of the bar, next to the wall. Loki has turned in his seat to face me, his back to Thor who is chatting with Mrs. Willow. I can see the old lady is very charmed by the God of Thunder.
"I want to talk to you about something," Loki says in a somewhat hushed voice. "Remember when I said I think you have magic of your own? I need you to tell me some more about that."

"What? How am I supposed to talk about magic?" I exclaim, immediately shutting my mouth when I realise it is not a topic you should talk about loudly in a busy coffee shop.
"Seriously though," I tell him softly, "how can I tell you about something I don't even have?"

"I've been thinking about it and I really think there is some form of magic inside you," Loki says. "And I think it runs in your family."

I almost spit out my tea, having a coughing fit. Loki pats me on the back, while I brush the tears from my eyes.

When I can properly speak again, I ask Loki why he thinks there is magic in my family.
"The other day, when I was browsing the poetry section, your uncle came up to me. I noticed he had a calming effect on me, especially when he stood right next to me," Loki explains.

"That's just Lars," I argue. "Just because he has a calming effect on people doesn't mean he has magic."

"What do you think magic is?" Loki smiles at me. "It's a part of someone. You either have it, or you don't. It can't be taught if there is nothing there to begin with. So yes, it ís Lars, it's the magic inside him. I remember reading about this type of magic, but unfortunately a lot of knowledge was lost in Ragnarok."

"Excuse me, but I find it a little hard to believe Lars and I have magic," I reply dryly.

Loki sighs. "You humans have such a hard time believing there is more than meets the eye. Yet millions of people believe in a god they have never seen. I'd say it's more logical to worship me!"

"You'd like that, wouldn't you?" My tone is sarcastic, but he just gives me a straight answer: "Yes."

"But back to you," Loki says. "Do you remember what happened when you first served me tea? That other girl could not go near me, yet you had no problem walking up to me."
Thinking hard, I recall what happened that day.
"Tell me what you felt," he says, curiously waiting for my answer.

So I tell him about the hot feeling in my spine, how it tingled at first and then disappeared. He wants to know if that happens more often and encouraged by his questions I can put things together. We softly discuss the concept of me having magic. I never really thought about it this way, but I can't deny always feeling that tingle in my spine whenever I'm around someone who is upset, sad or angry. And when I get upset myself, it often happens too.
"When there are a lot of people together and emotions run high, it usually results in me getting a headache," I tell Loki.

He nods, then asks me another question. "Is it just the feeling in your spine, or do you act upon it too?"

"Uhm..." I have to think hard on this one. "I guess I feel the need to touch people when they're upset, like give them a hug or something."

Loki chuckles. "I suspected something like that, yes. Not everyone wants to hug a killer, but you just jumped right to it. Just because you thought I needed comforting."
He's making fun of me, but I don't mind. I enjoy talking to him like this.

"Well... it worked, didn't it? You felt better!" I throw back at him.

"As much as I hate to admit it, yes I did." Loki says after a few seconds. I think he really had some trouble admitting that, as proud as he is.

I want to make another joke, but suddenly a thought crosses my mind and I instantly feel my mood crash.
I make people feel better when they are upset. People feel good when I'm around, that's why people like me. Not for my personality, but for my supposed magic. Aunt Yvonne says it's my aura, Loki says it's my magic, apparently it's not just me.
Maybe I am overreacting, but my whole life suddenly feels like a joke, I feel like my friends are not even my real friends. The thought is really overwhelming and my eyes tear up. I cover my face with my hands and try to breathe evenly.

"Ylva? What's wrong?" Loki says in a soft, but urgent voice. He lays his hand on my shoulder. "Did something... did I upset you?"
His fingers brush my hair from my face, from my neck. His hand is cool and I focus on that to calm down. After a few moments, Loki still stroking my hair, I tell him what's bothering me.
"You soft-hearted little human," he whispers with a small chuckle. "Didn't I just tell you the magic is a part of you? You wouldn't be you without it."

"Is everything alright, lady Ylva?" Thor asks, looking around Loki's shoulder.

I take a deep breath and asure Thor there is nothing wrong. I sit up straight again to prove my point, regretfully noticing how Loki has pulled back his hand. The moment is gone.
"I guess I was just a soft-hearted little human," I say with a little smile.

"Ah yes... you humans are big softies indeed," Thor chuckles, easily satisfied and turning back to his conversation with Mrs. Willow.

-----------------------------
Later that day, at the S.H.I.E.L.D. facility, director Fury is once again looking at agent Romanoff. The computer in front of him has just replayed a conversation between Loki of Asgard and Ylva Frederikson.
"So Loki is trying to figure out the extent of that woman's magical abilities," Fury says slowly. "What do we know about her?"

"She seems to be a nobody, sir," agent Romanoff replies. "And her supposed magical abilities have no exterior release, at least not that we know of."

"Then what use is she for Loki? He must see something in her, because he won't be sweet-talking her for nothing." Director Fury turns his chair from side to side, his fingertips pressed together, silently considering the possibilities.

"Maybe he has just taken a liking to her, sir?" Romanoff suggests. "He is very attentive to her."

Fury shakes his head. "No, this is Loki we are talking about. He must have some plan for her."

"He has not shown any hazardous behaviour since he is on Earth. He is pretty cooperative, all things considered," Romanoff argues gently.

But Fury doesn't agree. "Our boy is just playing nice to reach a goal. As soon as the Asgardians have a permanent settlement, we'll see the true Loki again I'll wager."
-----------------------------