Chapter 57

Hey guys!

I'm sorry it took me so long to update - my life has been extremely busy doing things to prep for college apps, prepare for dance competition, and keep up with everything in general. I promise I'll be back on my normal schedule soon!

Hope you guys enjoy :) as always, thank you for reading and coming to support this story!

***

Jennifer's POV -

That night, I receive a letter from Draco while sitting on my four-poster bed.

The talk I've just had with Kyle has left me quite shaken, and I feel like I might throw up. Obviously, I don't believe a word of what he said - he doesn't love me, he only told me that so I'd trust him more. And if I did, he and Derek would be free to carry out their plans.

I shiver to myself, folding my knees into my chest as my stomach churns queasily.

I just can't seem to take my mind off of the whole thing...

Just then, an urgent tapping sounds from the small window across the room. I look over to see that an owl is outside, carrying a small piece of parchment in it's beak.

I rise from my bed, pacing over to the glass curiously. Thankfully, the unexpected visitor has taken my mind off of Kyle, for now.

I open the hatch, allowing the owl to swoop in through it. It's a tiny thing - a barn owl, whose brown feathers are stained with flecks of gray and milky white.

Carefully, I remove the paper from its beak, and replace it with a small piece of granola from my bedside table.

Chittering happily, the owl takes off again, disappearing once more through the small hatch in the window.

Upon opening the letter, I see an all-too-familiar scroll. Immediately, my heartbeat begins to increase.

Draco.

What could he have possibly wanted me for at this time of night?

Overwhelmed with excitement, I ignore the sudden thought and begin to read.

Jen -

Meet me down by the black lake. 5 am.

Draco

I feel my face fall in confusion.

Why would he want to meet me at the lake, and at such an early time? Is something wrong?

The thought makes me shudder, but I try to dismiss it.

Although I'm surely hoping that nothing bad has happened, I know it must be important - otherwise, he wouldn't request to meet me so urgently and at such an early time.

I fold the small piece of parchment up in my fist, sighing.

Whatever he wants, I know that I have to make sure to be there tomorrow morning - clearly, it's something I can't miss.

***

After a restless night of sleep, I leap out of bed 10 minutes before five. The sun hasn't even broken the surface of the horizon yet - dark bars of purple and blue stripe the sky, which is flecked with stars that shine like golden teeth amidst a grin of dull white. I tug a sweater over my head and drape a thick scarf around my neck, quickly slipping out of my dorm and down to the dark corridors. Hopefully, Filch isn't out at this time in the morning - I don't think I'd be able to come up with a believable excuse if I were to be stopped.