Lie #10: Homeschoolers are Luckier than Public Schoolers

Whenever people find out I'm homeschooled, they always ask me a whole bunch of questions about what it's like, etc. and when I get finished telling them all about it, they almost always say "You're so lucky!" Especially here on Wattpad, I get SO many people asking me about homeschooling and then wishing that they themselves were homeschooled. Well let me tell you, it's not all that it appears.

Next school year, when I start 11th grade, I'll be taking an advanced math course at the community college by my house. Surprisingly, I just finished all of my required high school math.... I know, I'm a genius. So I have to do math at the college. (Sadly, my mom won't let me be done with math for good. It sucks.) It's going to be completely different from what I'm used to. I ALWAYS listen to music while I take my math tests, because somehow it's easier for me to concentrate. And when I go to take it at the college, I don't think they'll allow that. Plus, everyone will be older than me. It'll be a complete different change of scenario.

In addition, there are so many more opportunities for public schoolers. There are a lot of different classes you can take for free with your high school. With homeschooling, you have to buy all your books and we have to pay to go to a homeschool group (which is in a way like public school; we take classes with other homeschoolers).

Public schools have so many different sports too. Sure, my homeschool group has sports like volleyball and soccer, but most homeschoolers don't have that opportunity like I do. I play on our volleyball team, but I have to drive more than a half an hour away for practice.... Practice. And then for away games, we don't take a bus or whatever you public schoolers do. I think my parents pay more money for gas than they have to pay for me to actually be on the team. And that's hundreds of dollars in itself.

Dances, homecoming, prom, formal. You've probably wondered if homeschoolers have dances like that.... Well the truth is, most don't. You ever seen that Good Luck Charlie episode where the homeschooled girl PJ was dating had prom in her living room? And they were the only teenagers there, along with the girl's parents and grandparents. It was pretty hilarious. Well let me tell you something. Homeschoolers do not do that. At least not the normal ones, some crazy homeschoolers may... you never know. Scratch that, all homeschoolers are crazy, there are just those that are a little more so.

To be honest, my homeschooling group does have a winter and spring formal. But they're very strict about it. The girl's dresses have to be no more than two inches above the knee and the straps have to be at least two inches thick. It took me forever to find a dress that meet those requirements. And we ended up having to sew my dress because it was too big and I had to wear a cardigan over it. No PDA. When people of the opposite gender dance, they all dance the same way. And you can't get too close, or you'll get called out. I went to the winter formal this year and although it was fun, it was also very very awkward. I decided to skip the spring one.

You don't even know how lucky you are for seeing your friends every frickin day. Most of my friends live like thirty minutes away and it's so stupid, we can't hang out much because my mom is always too busy to drive me. Here's some wise words by me to live by: "Appreciate your friends while you're with them, because not everyone is so lucky... *ahem* homeschoolers *ahem*"

Although I'm sure I could list a few more reasons why homeschoolers aren't as lucky as you think, I'd rather not because I'm lazy and have a short attention span. Sue me.

Now I don't mean to insinuate that homeschooling is terrible and has nothing good about it. Homeschooling is still pretty great: doing school on the couch, listening to music, doing it when you want, skipping school and spending the whole day on Wattpad, etc. (basically it's the school for the lazy) But it also has quite a few things not so great about it: college, less class choices, money issues, dances, sports, etc. Everything has its ups and downs and homeschooling is no different.

Arghhgh I have a stupid virus on my computer and I just did a malware scan thingy that took almost four frickin hours. Guess what? The virus is still frickin there. Whatever. Life is life.

Ok so I just discovered the music artist "Birdy" and she is officially amazing. I usually don't like the type of music she sings, but I just love her for some reason! Check her out in the video in the media area.

Next Update: June 14th

It's late, I need sleep. Goodnight my awkward ducklings.