Chapter 22

Ariana mounted her bike again as Jace removed the helmet.

"I really don't like what you're doing." He gave her the helmet.

"You don't need to." Ariana grabbed the helmet and put it on before she revved the bike and took off.

Shay had sent her the address of the security guard and all she wanted to do was ask him a few questions.

Ariana pulled up across the quiet street a few minutes later. The street lights brightened the dark street. It was late, families would probably be seated around the table for dinner, their doors shut for the day.

Ariana dismounted her bike and hooked her helmet on the clutch. She crossed the street and made her way to one of the white picket fenced houses. She walked through the gate and climbed up the stairs to the porch approaching the front door. She rang the doorbell and waited.

There were some movements behind the door before it was pulled open.

"Good evening." Ariana greeted the young woman who stood with the door open.

"Buenos tardes," she greeted with a heavily accented voice, "Can I help you?"

"Yes." Ariana adjusted her footing, "I'm looking for Ben Navaret."

"Porque?" She asked, "Did he do something wrong?"

"Not really," Ariana said, "I work for Mr. Black and I just need to ask him about some questions regarding his shift a few days ago."

She stared at her for a while before she answered.
"El se fue."
He's gone.

"Donde?"
Where?

"A su otro trabajo."
To his other job.

"Cuándo va a estar de regreso?"
When will he be back?

She shook her head.

"Ok," Ariana nodded, "Gracias."

"Mi esposo," She began as Ariana turned around to leave making her stop and turn around "...hará cualquier cosa para mantener a su familia feliz."
My husband will do anything to keep his family happy.

"Cualquier cosa."
Anything.

Ariana stared at her for a moment like she had just spoken in gibberish.

"Espere."
Wait.

Ben's wife turned around and went inside then came back seconds later and handed her a piece of paper.

"Comprobar esta dirección."
Check this address.

Ariana took the paper she handed her and smiled at her.
"Muchas gracias."

Ariana turned around and walked down the porch and heard the door shut behind her as she made her way out of the compound and towards her bike.

It took her a few minutes to locate the place but when she did, she parked her bike a safe distance away and headed towards the abandoned building which was in the middle of nowhere. Not exactly nowhere but isolated from other buildings which were a few blocks away.

Ariana locked her phone which she had used to locate the building and put it in her jeans back pocket. She pushed the wooden door and it creaked open. It was dark but the street light shone through the windows and gave her an idea of what her surrounding was. As she stepped inside, the darkness of the apartment engulfed her and she tried her best to avoid any creaking floorboard as she did a sweep of the apartment.

Living room. Kitchen. Bathroom.

Ariana closed the bathroom door which was right under the stairs and went to climb the stairs but stopped when she heard a scream. She immediately went for her gun which was safely tucked into her jeans at her back. She clicked off the safety and held the grip with both hands and went in the direction the scream came from. She stopped in front of a door where light creeped out through the cracks. One hand on the door handle, she slowly pulled it down and pulled it open as slowly as she could to avoid any sound. She could hear voices muffled voices and cries and punches in between those cries.