chapter sixteen

KENZIE'S POINT OF VIEW
•••

i ran up to my room, and slammed the door shut. i flopped onto my bed, and sobbed into my pillow. i couldn't u detente how my parents had made the decision to move to australia without even telling us until it was all finalised. the fact that maddie seemed okay with this just riled me up further.

i'd be losing everything. my friendships. my popularity. my teachers, who i may hate, but still love. my house. my fake boyfriend, who i might actually like. basically my entire life. it's typical for such bad luck to hit me.

i closed my eyes in frustration, only to wake up hours later. i looked at the clock on my wall, and sat up in shock. it was 10pm.

i was dazed for a moment, and was about to go outside when i remembered the bomb my parents had thrown at me just today.

i lay back down, but couldn't ignore the empty sensation in my stomach. i hadn't eaten anything since lunch. i quietly opened my door, hoping the house was asleep, and crept outside.

i walker downstairs, and opened the fridge, but after a few minutes, and a failed attempt to find something to eat, i shut it and turned around.

i jumped in fright when i saw my mom, dad, maddie, dorota, and dog?

"honey. are you okay?" my mom asked me. i ignored her, and turned around again, and opened he fridge, pretending i was busy.

"kenzie, please. let us explain." my dad pleaded. "tomorrow," i said, and shoved past them, and ran up to my room, forgetting about my hunger.

i woke up for the second time later in the morning, and without getting dressed, went downstairs, and went straight to the dining room.

no one was there, so i went to the kitchen and asked out chef for some pancakes. i went back to the table, and sat down, scrolling though my phone.

about five minutes later, my mom came downstairs, and nervously smiled at me. i gave her a half smile in return.

"okay, i know you're mad about the move, but it's been decided. no. don't interrupt. let me finish. your father and i both will have a better job. we'll have a bigger house. you and maddie can made new friends. it's a positive change for all of us."

i didn't feel like arguing. i didn't feel like crying. i didn't even feel like smiling. i just felt blank. "okay. when's the move." she gave me a shrug, and nervously stuttered, "well, it's a short notice, but we're leaving in two weeks, so the 8th of march..."

i nodded, and without a word, got up and walked out of the dining room.

"but you can't be moving!" lauren cried, tears threatening to fall. annie nodded in agreement, tears already rolling down her cheeks.

the two of them had come over after school and that was when i had broken the news to them. "i really don't want to," i mumbled, biting my lip to stop my own tears from falling

"y-you just found out about y-your feelings for j-johnny," annie sniffed, and that's when i broke down.

the two of them attempted to comfort me, which wasn't a good idea, seeing as all three of us were in the same state.

by the end of it, we all decided to stay home tomorrow, and spend time together. it took a bit of convincing, but finally all our parents agreed.

the three of us were binge watched by gossip girl, when lauren suddenly asked me, "are you going to tell johnny?" "what?" i questioned. "that you like him," she simply said. i turned read, and had never felt more grateful for the dark.

"uh..no," i replied. annie paused the show, and pulled me up. "your room. now." i sighed, but nonetheless, the three of us went upstairs.

i flopped down on my bed, while lauren jumped onto my beanbag. annie sat down on my wheelie chair, and squealed as she twirled herself around.

"so why are me here?" i asked them, when annie had finally stopped, and was cured from her dizziness.

"you," lauren began. "have to," annie continued.

"tell."

"johnny."

"you."

"like."

"him."

the two of them alternated, and i rolled my eyes.

i twirled a piece of my hair around my finger, a habit i have when i'm nervous. "fine. i'll think about it, but can we not talk about all this right now," i pleaded, throwing a pillow at lauren.

"oh it's on like donkey kong," she cringily responded, causing us all to burst into fits of giggles, and before i knew it, we were in the middle of a full fledged pillow fight.

finally we have up, partly because we all got tired. "i'm so stuffed from the snacks, i don't even want dinner, so i'm going to bed. goodnight kiddos," annie grinned, as she lay down on the mattress on the floor.

"same- JINX!" lauren and i screeched in sync, causing us, yet again, to start laughing.

•••
i kept forgetting to same this each time i rewrote it- this is literally the fourth time

[ word count — 877 words ]
( EDITED )