Ch.9

Three months in Dauntless.

We were throwing knives today. Tris and I were having a small competition, seeing who could get more knives in the center. Apparently, both of us. We had thrown seven knives each, before I started laughing and she cracked a smile too.

Christina rolled her eyes, "Children."

We all were still chuckling when we heard a knife collide with the floor. We all turned to see Al, out of breath and no knives on his target. Eric was behind him, "Well, that was pathetic."

I snickered along with Peter. I got a few glares from Christina and Tris, and stopped. We weren't exactly friends again, but we got along once more. I was getting tired of Peter's clingy behavior and also sick of his friends. I wasn't really anyone's friend right now. Chris and Tris forgave me. I had no connection or resentment with anyone. I drifted in the middle.

We all looked at Al, who defended himself, "It slipped."

Eric shouted at him, "Well go get it!"

We all kept throwing but looked at Al. He looked to see stray knives flying everywhere. He shook his head, "While they're still throwing?"

Eric spoke, "Are you afraid?"

Al scoffed, "Of being stabbed by an airborne knife, yeah."

Eric shouted, "Everybody stop."

We all immediately stopped, turning to face the scene playing out in front of us. Eric wasn't done yet, "Stand in front of the target."

Peter wrapped his arms around my neck from behind me and we both smirked. He laughed, "This should be fun."

I nodded. I didn't really care for Al. All he did anyways was keep everyone up at night by crying. He walked slowly to the target, standing in front of it. Eric faced Four, "Four, can you give me a hand here?"

He walked towards Al, "You're gonna stand there, while he throws those knives. And, if I see you flinch- you're out. One thing you will learn here, is that orders are not optional."

He gave Four the signal to go. Just as he aimed, I heard Tris shout, "Stop! Anyone can stand in front of a target it doesn't prove anything."

I looked from Tris to Eric, who smirked. "Then it should be easy for you to take his place."

She walked to the target, taking Al's place. She took a deep breath, and Four threw the first knife. It wasn't even close to her.

I pried Peter off me and scoffed, "Nobody would flinch at that."

Initiates weren't the only ones who heard me. Eric also turned to me and smirked, before turning back to Tris. "Come on Four."

Four shook his head, before taking aim again. He threw the knife. Again, no one would have flinched at it. Eric rolled his eyes, "You can get closer than that."

Four looked to Eric, "You want me to give her a little trim?"

Eric smirked, "Maybe just a little off the top."

Four nodded and took aim. It landed just above her head. I laughed. He took aim again, and launched it. I froze. The knife was leaving no room between itself and her head. She pulled her head away and brought her hand to her ear. When she pulled it away, her fingers had blood on them.

Eric took a step forward, "Points for Bravery Stiff, but not as many as you just lost for opening your mouth. We train soldiers, not rebels."

He turned to everyone else, "Alright we're done for the day. Get out."

I turned and left, struggling to pull away from Peter's arms once again. He followed after me like a puppy. "Lex, where are you going? The dorms are this way?"

We were past the dorms, and I didn't look at him as I spoke, "I'm not going there, obviously. I just want to be alone for a while."

He jumped in front of me, bringing me to a halt. "Well, I could join you. Find a dark corner. Have some fun."

I scoffed and went around him, "No thanks Peter."

He grabbed my arm, "Come on, I know you want me. Don't deny it babe."

I laughed, turning back. "Yea OK Peter. Whatever, let's just go back to the dorms."

Peter nodded and walked behind me. We walked in and I went and laid face down on my bed, snuggling into the pillow. A few minutes later, I heard cheering erupt around the room. I guess Tris came in. I wrapped my pillow around my head and blocked out the sound. I got up a moment later, to see Tris walking out of the room.

I turned only to hear Peter speak, "Was it something I said?"

I rolled my eyes and grabbed my jacket, running out after Tris. Christina, Al, and Will followed.

I caught up and wrapped my arm around her shoulder, "Don't worry. He's just an idiot. So whatever he said, don't think about it too much."

Tris looked up and nodded. We all continued to joke and laugh as we walked down the hallway. We turned a corner, only to see Jeanine Matthews walking down the hall towards us.

Will was the first to speak, "What's she doing here?"

Jeanine looked up and saw me. She smiled, "Alexa! Well, I certainly didn't expect to catch you here."

She looked beside me and her eyes widened slightly- something that meant she was interested. I knew from spending my entire life around her. "Prior... You're Andrew Prior's daughter, aren't you? Beatrice?"

I froze. Prior? Tris spoke up, "It's just Tris now."

I looked to Jeanine who was smiling, "Tris, I like that."

She reached forward, getting a better look at Tris's tattoo. Jeanine pulled away, "You made an impressive choice Tris. Despite your parents. And your test result."

Tris flinched, "You've seen my test result?"

Jeanine smiled, "Of course. I'm glad you were smart enough to know your own mind. Let me know if you ever need anything."

She then turned to me, "Alexa, I want you to know I'm so very proud of you. I knew you'd be great here."

I smiled and nodded to her. She looked at Tris one last time, before turning and walking away.

Christina was the first to speak, "That was weird."

Tris seemed frozen but whispered, "Yeah."

We all started walking again, but I noticed Tris still standing there. She was watching the two guards. I listened in. The first one was speaking, "I think they're hunting Divergents. That's all they talk about at Erudite these days."

I pulled her by the arm, "Come on Tris..."

As we walked away I kept listening, "Wait, Divergents are real?"

I cleared my throat and stopped listening.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please Vote!