Stab the Devil in the Back

I drive home in a state of panic. Rushing up the attic stairs to retrieve the grimoire, I feel detached from my own body. As I'm retrieving the book from the rafters the temperature drops. Small hairs on the back of my neck tingle as I sense an apparition manifesting behind me.

When I turn around there's a new ghost standing in the middle of the attic. A dark haired, middle aged woman. She looks as real and solid as I am, except for one detail. Her skirts are hovering two inches above the wooden floor. She doesn't say anything, but I sense her anguished voice in my mind. You're going to need Blair's help to stop that Black witch.

Cold breath plumes out in front of my face, as I ask her, "You're the real Madame Regina, aren't you? That woman in the museum, Danielle, murdered you and then impersonated you."

She nods silently. Moving her hands agitatedly, she implores, "You need to find Blair. She can help you!" At first I'm confused by her advice, but then something clicks in my mind. Suddenly, I realize why she's telling me I need Blair's help. Grabbing the grimoire, I rush out of the attic.

"Don't worry!" I call over my shoulder as I run out of the attic. "I understand. I'll find her!" As I rush downstairs, all I can think of is getting back to the museum and rescuing Dylan. Pulling out my phone, I call Connor as I head downstairs with the grimoire. I know Jerry's too injured to help rescue Dylan. Besides, there's not enough time to explain everything to his police regulated mind.

Connor answers on the first ring. Thank God!  I start talking rapidly without preamble. "Connor, I need your help!"

"Lizzy, WTF, it's one in the morning! What's wrong with you?"

"Dylan's been abducted. He's being held at the museum."

"What!" I hear a crashing sound in the background as if Connor's tumbled out of bed.

"I can't explain everything to you right now, but I need you to call Blair. Tell her I need her help."

"Blair? What do you mean? What can she possibly do?"

"She put a binding spell on Donna. I need her to lift it."

"I'm sure she'll do anything she can to help rescue Dylan, but this is insane. Why aren't you calling the police!"

"We can't involve the police tonight, Connor." The people who have him are evil. They'll blind him and then kill him if I'm not back there before two am.

"Jesus! Alright, no police. I'll get Blair and meet you at the parking lot next to the museum."

Within a half an hour, we're all in the vacant rental car lot across from where Dylan's being held. It's one fifteen am. I have forty five minutes before Stanford carries out his threat of hurting Dylan. Pulling out the grimoire, I look earnestly at Blaire. "When's the last time you saw your aunt?" I don't know why I trust her, but I'm following my gut. 

"About six months ago. Why?"

"Blair, your aunt had a strong European accent didn't she?"

"Yes, she's Transylvanian."

"The woman who's involved in this, she doesn't have an accent. I think she's a witch who's impersonating your aunt."

Blair looks at me questioningly. Her psychic powers are obviously being dampened by her emotions. "Where's my Aunt now?" She asks tremulously.

I lie because I don't want to let her know her aunt's dead. It's deceitful, but I'm afraid she might freak out. "Right now, I'm not sure where she is, or if she's even still alive."

I grab her hand. "Blair, these people that have Dylan are Satanists." I show Connor and her the entry about the Dragon Pendant in the book. "They killed Katherine Stanford to get this ancient relic. Vladimir Dracul's enchanted pendant."

"Why do they want this necklace?" Grief stricken, she looks at me questioningly.

"They believe the ruby in the necklace will give them unlimited power. They think they'll be unkillable. The only thing I can't understand is why they're so desperate to get their hands on my mother's spell book."

Blair confirms what I've suspected all along. "They want it because the book can harm them, or somehow stop them dead in their tracks."

"That's all I need to know." I open the grimoire. "Blair, you need to do a spell to bind these bastards, while Connor and I rescue Dylan."