Chapter Ten

Opening my eyes, I face a bright light lingering a line in and through the open windows. The bed is slightly larger than mine and to be frank much more comfortable. I take a few moments and let my brain catch up.

I've never been fond of sleeping out of my bedroom, especially having to sleep in my underwears, but seeing as things were last night, I went to sleep, surprisingly easy. After taking a brief shower and getting myself rid of that goddamn dress, I called it a day with the thought that Ethan and I could never be a couple, not when he unintentionally is hurting me and I keep having a one-sided feeling for him. The evidence is in our partings.

Every night, every time that we want to part away, it ends in sadness or awkwardness. Perhaps, it might not be intentional from his side, but I don't think I could do it any other way.

I sit up and decide to wear the towel robe I have left on the armchair next to the bed until I could throw on the clothes that Ethan has asked to bring for me since I gave him the keys to my apartment last night.

For a second I wonder whom he is going to send and whether this person has been... well, has ever slept with him. It might sound absurd for who am I to demand to know such information? But seeing that Ethan has a very active reputation in Hollywood and he's been with everyone except me, it makes me wonder what qualification they have that I don't.

Perhaps, he sees me as a sister, which might be the case if he hadn't been avoiding me like a plague or if he acted more kindly with me. Besides, I can tell he most certainly does not see me as his sister, by every time he would look at me at all those functions and parties we have met. He looks at me as I am a woman, yet how different it makes it from the rest, I do not know.

Just as I walk out of the bathroom, drying my face, there is a knock on the door. A quick glance at the clock tells me it's nothing before eight in the morning.

"Hey," Ethan says when I open the door, "I have your clothes here in this bag, as you've asked. Let me know if you need anything. I'm making breakfast, will you join me?"

"Sure. Thanks," I reply curtly and grab the duffle bag out of his hand almost immediately.

Upon opening the zipper, I give out a sigh. Thank god, whoever has done this has included pads. I could not go on with the only pad left in my purse. Just as I have written on the paper, last night, before he showed me to my room, everything is in the bag.

Putting on a simple T-shirt and a pair of jeans ripped at the knees, I continue my way outside, confident this time, so I follow my sense downstairs to the smell of food, coming from the kitchen. In the kitchen, dressed in a comfortable attire, for a Sunday morning, Ethan is busy attending to something on the stove.

"Good morning," I call out,

"Good morning," he turns and says before directing his attention back to his task. "Please help yourself to some coffee while I make the omelet," he says.

Frowning at his back, I take my seat behind the breakfast bar. Pouring my coffee with a little bit honey in it, I wonder why Ethan sounds so chirpy and happy today. Usually, he should be moody and sulky since I spent the night at his house.

"How did you sleep last night?" he asks as he returns with a plate covered with a big round fluffy vegetable omelet that smells rather delicious. He fills my plate with a generous amount before filling his and taking a seat in front of me.

"Um... Great, I guess," I stab the quarter of omelet and let my fork sink into it. "How about you?" I ask before realizing how stupid it sounds, "I mean, of course, you slept well. This is your house. The only thing is my presence," I press my lips into a thin line and drop my head, putting baby pieces in my mouth.