Memories | 02

It was a small town I lived in, and that was probably why news would travel so fast. One basic fact was that everyone would know everybody’s business.

Standing near the edge of the bridge, I peered over the metal railing, watching the tides below as they collided with the rocks and battles for dominance.  It sure was a long drop down from this bridge, all the way down to the water.

“Beautiful, isn’t it?” came a voice from behind alerting me that company had arrived. The man stood next to me, he too glancing down at the water.

Emitting a sound of agreement, I cut right to the chase. “Why did you want to meet me?” I asked curiously, watching the elderly man, taking in his appearance as I awaited his answer.

He was a tall man; even taller than me despite his old age. From his physical appearance alone I would say that he was in his late fifties or even his early sixties. The man was dressed in a woolly winter jumper, the tip of his nose slightly pink due to the cold temperature, one which clearly indicated that winter was on its way.

Honestly, I wouldn’t peg him to be Ally’s grandfather, but his eyes did distinctively resemblance the razor sharp blue that Ally adorned; just one of the many things that I loved about her. “Are you listening to me, boy?” asked a questioning voice which was paired with a pair of fingers snapping in front of my face, attempting to grab my attention.

Blinking repeatedly before stepping back into reality, I just stared at the man before me, unable to do anything else. “I said,” he began again, clearing his throat before he continued, “my name’s Benjamin.” He introduced himself, sticking his hand out in front of him for me to shake.

Ignoring his words of greeting and his attempt at a less-than-awkward beginning, I stuffed my hands in my pocket. “You never answered my question.” I stated, glancing at the –Benjamin– blankly.

He chuckled softly, “you sure are a sharp young fella.” Clearly, my attitude amused him, I though sourly. “Now, now,” he began whilst struggling to hold back his smile, “I actually thought this would be a good chance to get to know you better.” He answered matter-of-factly, leaning forward on the railing, resting his arms on it as he watched the water below.

Awkwardly, my mind buzzed with questions, clouded with curiosity but I decided to mirror his actions and posture, and to relax a little. “Get to know me better?” Echoing his answer, I glanced at the sky above. Surprisingly, the sky seemed clear of any clouds or gloomy attributes which would have marked this day as a negative and unproductive one, though instead it suggested that today would be a beautiful day.

The elderly man stood next to me, he too admiring the sky. Making a sound of appreciation towards it beauty, he carried on. “That’s right,” he concluded, turning his head to the side so that he was able to glance at me.

My forehead scrunched slightly and my eyebrows knitted together as the confusion settled in. It was as if this man was speaking in rhymes, anything he said didn’t seem to make any sense.

Once again, he chuckled at me expense, alerting me that I was being watched the whole time. Shaking my head, the anger boiled inside of me as I pushed myself off the railing and walked away, not glancing back at the man who had wasted my time and diverted my attention from Ally; not even once.

The man ran after me, desperate for me to come back but I wasn’t going to put up with his nonsense any longer. Heaving heavily, he came to a halt and gasped for breath, his old age preventing him from catching up to me.

“You-you’re everything she said about you!” He called after me but once again, I ignored his plea and walked down the bridge, eager to get to Ally. “Ally was right with everything she said about you!” He yelled again, this time capturing my attention and silently persuading me to not leave but to return to him whilst his words processed in my mind.