107. Pride

"I release the blade that till now slumbered; my pride reflecting on its surface

"I release the blade that till now slumbered; my pride reflecting on its surface."

-Hibari Kyouya (Kokou no Pride/Superiority's Pride)

107. Pride  

When I woke up, I knew something was wrong.

I'm not being a cliche, it's because I wasn't on the same hospital bed I've slept on for five days. Hell-- it was much more comfortable than the stingy hospital bed could ever offer.

But the problem was-- nothing can ever match up to this level of foreboding I felt.

Rubbing my eyes repeatedly, I came to realize the fogginess from my unhealed eyes wasn't the cause of this unfamiliar view.  

I was on a couch. A sofa. A long, luxury sofa, with a thin blanket over me. The first thing I saw when I woke up was a bloody golden, jewellery frickin chandelier.

Wherever the hell I was, god bloody no.

My first attempt at walking in a whole week-- I tried just yesterday-- was disastrous. It was like my feet muscles had forgotten how to support my weight. They forgot how to handle the sheer mass of my own body. Forgot how gravity worked.

According to Amano it's just a little lack of use on my muscle's side of the story. Eventually, they'll remember and start to work well again. But for now-- he specifically told me to just take it easy and let other wounds heal.

So where the fuck am I?

I sighed. Looking around, I caught sight of the surroundings. A large hall-- no, not a hall-- a room? It was huge, expensive-- some pillars were carved with countless of intricate designs I would never understand. The floors were lined with a dark red carpet-- like the ones people line out for VIPs and royalty. The couch I lay on-- it looked brand new, and it went without saying the couch was made of something I can't even pronounce.

"So, like what you see?"

A head of blond hair, with the smile of a baketanuki, pops into view. 

Letting out a shriek of horror, I felt myself shrink into the couch attempting to run away. "Belphegor??"

Chuckling with his signature "Shishishishi," he straightens himself and sits down on the carpet. His eye level was on mine, so I turned to look at him with a sort of curiosity in my gaze.

"So, how're you not dead at the moment?" Belphegor asked nonchalantly.

Calming myself down, I struggled to a more comfortable position, sitting up and leaning against the backrest.

"Sun Flames." I answered, speaking a bit more nervously than Belphegor did, "I was apparently patched up in time to avoid death."

Belphegor's smile died out.