Chapter Sixty Nine

two weeks later

two weeks later

October 5th 1979

Asteria paced back and forth, knotting and unknotting a small length of wool in her hands.

"Ri, you need to calm down. We should go but not if you're going to freak out." Sirius placed a comforting hand on her arm to stop her from moving.

"Y-yeah... Okay." She nodded weakly.

"It'll be fine. They'll understand." Sirius pulled her into a hug, holding their bodies flush against one another.
"That's not what I'm worried about." She whispered into his hair.
"They'll be safe. Nobody will go after them if they don't know where they are." He replied.

Asteria let out a small a shaky breath, "Okay, let's go."

She held out her hand and Sirius took it. Their fingers entwined and in a split second they had vanished from the small living room of their home. The next second, the couple appeared on a wide open stretch of coast.

Asteria was home.

"Remember the plan?" Sirius asked.

"Phase one, explain to my parents that it isn't safe for them to be here. Phase two, convince them to flee the country. Phase three, go home safe." Asteria nodded.

It could only be a matter of time before the Death Eaters found Asteria's parents. Sirius' family had her address and with each passing day that they didn't submit to Voldemort, they were only defying him.

"We need to do this - to keep them safe." Sirius said as they began walking in the direction of her house.
"I don't think I can..." Asteria admitted quietly.

She wasn't brave like Sirius or any of her other friends. She was terrified and didn't want her parents to leave but didn't want them hurt either. If Asteria couldn't convince them to emigrate until the dark times were over, then her parents were most certainly going to die. It was only a matter of time.

"You know that in order to keep them safe they have to leave. Won't you do whatever it takes to ensure that?" Sirius asked, "It's not about being brave. You need to be determined."

That was one thing Asteria could be. If she set her mind to it, it'd be done far above the level of perfection - just to prove a point.

"Okay... You're right, I can do it." She ran her tongue over her bottom lip and looked up towards her house as they rounded the corner.

Sirius didn't look up at first and only kept walking. This was until he noticed Asteria had stopped and he turned to face her.

"Ri?"

Her skin had lost all colour yet she could feel every bit of blood coursing through her veins. Her mouth had run dry yet she wanted to scream and shout. She felt a wave of cold, loneliness flood over her but there was still anger bubbling deep within.