Chapter 38

Brian comes back to us and raise an expecting eyebrow at Ike and Noah. "Well?"

The guys give him the same info they gave me, and my heart clench when he frown worriedly. "If they're already seeking contact it shouldn't take them long to realize that Hall's organization has been completely dismantled. And after that it won't take them long to realize that Hall can't possibly pay to have Caia delivered to him."

"What are they gonna do to Caia then?" Noah asks, and I see my own worry mirrored in his eyes. I don't know much about Noah Wilder, but I always wondered what he was doing in Ike's gang. I know he has three younger sisters he protects fiercely, along with his mother who's a single parent. I know he has a reputation for being a coldblooded, methodical fighter, but not getting into fights unnecessarily, and for protecting innocent bystanders. It's why I'm comfortable with him around Bambi. Had he been born into another neighborhood he probably would have become a cop or something equally honorable.

"If we're extremely lucky they haven't let her see their faces and they might let her go." Brian's tone makes it clear that he's more likely to believe in fairies than the happening of that particular scenario. "But most likely they'll kill her to protect themselves."

The clenching of my stomach worsens. "So what do we do now?"

"While we wait for Miller to call, I'm gonna call a few of my contacts to put pressure on the judge, so we can get a hold of that warrant quicker. You three," he points to us, "are gonna hit the streets and see if you can catch yourself one of those lackeys running around."

"Are we allowed to beat him up?" Ike asks eagerly, a savage smile painting his features.

Brian's eyes narrow. "No." Without another word he turns and walks to his car.

"Let's go." I say and together we walk to Ike's car to find a sorry son of a bitch to interrogate. In any way we must.

*****

Caia

Without a watch or clock of any kind, I'm having trouble keeping track of time, but it must have been at least a few hours before I hear the faint sound of approaching footsteps.

I was tired and the thumping of my head had worsened, making it difficult to keep concentrating on listening at the door, when all I really wanted was go back to the mattress and sleep for a year. So when I hear the steps I have to scramble to my feet and fumble with the pipe I placed on the ground beside me.

Taking my place beside the door I raise the pipe high above my head, ready to bring it down on the psychopathic doctor. I tense when I hear the distinct beeping of numbers being punched into the keypad outside the door. There is a low whirling sound and then the door opens.

The doctor takes one step into the room and then I swing my weapon down were I expect his head to be.

A tray falls to the ground and a deep cursing resounds in the room. It takes me less than a split second to realize that the intruder is too big to be doctor Samuel.

Meaning his head isn't where I thought it would be.

Shit. Shit, shit, shit, shit!

"Fucking bitch!" he snarls.

In panic I raise the pipe again and make another go at his head, but he raise his arm to deflect the hit and reciprocate by giving me a fist in the stomach. The breath leaves my body and my fingers slacken on the pipe, but thankfully not enough for it to fall.

I take a halfhearted swing at his shoulder, and while it hits, it's too weak to do anything but bruise him.

Enraged, he steps closer and backhands me, sending me crashing against the wall. Dizzily I raise the pipe, but before I can do anything, he grabs it with both hands and use it to put pressure on my throat, forcing me back.