Chapter 75

Serena's POV:

I sat on a bench beside Lucas. On the bench. Because Darien, Alex, Fiona, and two of the Dranek were closely questioning each Councillor to see how much they knew. I also knew that neither Darien nor the Dranek would let those behind the kidnapping escape alive. Saphira stood beside the bench, her skin finally back to its usual ice blue color.

I muttered, "I never thought I would be responsible for a political coup..."

Lucas glanced over at me, "Technically, you aren't responsible for it. You were just the catalyst. Besides, we aren't trying to actually take over, we are just removing the rot. They will leave any innocent Councillors on the Council."

The bond shifted and I stood up as Darien approached. The other three Dranek were also close by and their heads turned when they heard me stand up. My recent kidnapping really had them on high alert. The door down the hallway opened and Darien came out. I went to give him a hug.

Fiona looked downcast and Alex appeared dejected. Lucas inquired, "And the verdict?"

Alex sighed heavily, "Those nine were all guilty."

Lucas scratched his head, "There were twelve Councillors, so where are the other two?"

"That is a very good question and the Councillors refused to speak. We are about to go in search of some servants to ask that very question."

Darien shifted me so his arm was around my shoulders as we started walking. The others followed while the Dranek ranged around us, alert for any trouble.

*      *      *

"Since when is there a dungeon in the basement of this place?" Fiona's voice came from somewhere behind me as we descended the stairs. The floor and wall were made of blocks of stone, which gave it a medieval setting.

Alex answered her, "I'm guessing they were made when the Dranek were advancing. I know the tunnels were dug around then to help fighters with hit and runs or for an escape route if the council building was stormed."

There weren't many servants left in this place, and the few that were still here spoke freely of what they knew. We had to ask several people before we found one or two who had overheard things they shouldn't have.

The presence of a human and half a dozen Dranek rattled the servants, although the fact that our group had pulled the corrupt leaders from their seats was a relief to them. Any servants who had approved of the Council's actions knew they would be on the hit list and had disappeared.

We had already gone down two flights of stairs as a winding hallway sloped slightly while guiding us deeper and deeper. I stuck close to Darien just in case trouble appeared. He had tried to leave me in the nearby forest with the Dranek, but the mate bond had prevented him from leaving me. His reading ability was needed in case the Councillors lied, so I and the Dranek came along.

My nerves caused the bond to shift slightly regardless of how much I tried to prevent my anxiety from affecting the far-too-sensitive mate bond. It still ended up putting Darien somewhat on edge. Nothing like when he had tried to leave me in the forest, but it was still having an obvious effect on him.

Lucas opened the next heavy door ahead of us and we finally saw the end of the dead end hallway. There were several barred doors on one side of the hallway, although I couldn't see anything besides the door due to the angle. We went forward and Lucas exclaimed, "Whoa. We found them..."

It only took Darien and me a few more steps before we could see inside the cells. Two of the cells held grey-haired Tarulk who were tied to chairs and gagged. They struggled against their bonds as they saw us, trying to speak.