XVII

WHILE PERCY FOUGHT OFF THE CHIMERA, Selena busied herself with the serpent. Her dagger wouldn't do much to the monster unless she was close so all Selena could think to do was use her powers and create illusions.

At least a dozen versions of herself surrounded the reptile and she spun around in confusion. The Echidna hissed and began attacking each form of Selena, "Which one am I?" Each form that was attacked, disappeared. Selena knew she could hold it for much longer, she felt herself growing weaker.

When the Echidna turned her back to the real Selena, she took her knife out and so did the other illusions. Each of them took a step towards the monster. Just as Selena raised her knife to attack, the Echidna used her tail and threw Selena to the floor.

She groaned in pain and looked over to see Percy getting bitten by the Chimera, "No!"

Percy backed into the hole in the wall and Selena felt the fear in her chest rise. The Chimera advanced, growling, smoke curling from its lips. The snake lady, the Echidna, cackled. "They don't make heroes like they used to, eh, son?"

The monster growled. It seemed in no hurry to finish him off now that Percy was beaten. There was no place else to go, so Percy stepped to the edge of the hole. Far, far below, the river glittered, "Percy, no!" Selena screamed and Echidna pulled her against her scaly skin.

Selena struggled against the tail that wrapped around her waist, and she tried to punch it, but the Echidna didn't seem to notice,

"If you are the son of Poseidon," Echidna hissed, "you would not fear water. Jump, Percy Jackson. Show me that water will not harm you. Jump and retrieve your sword. Prove your bloodline." Percy looked down at the water before glancing back at Echidna and Selena,

The Chimera's mouth glowed red, heating up for another blast, "You have no faith," Echidna told him, "You do not trust the gods. I cannot blame you, little coward. Better you die now. The gods are faithless. The poison is in your heart." She tossed Selena towards Percy.

Selena got back to her feet and stumbled over to Percy. She grabbed onto his face and looked into his eyes, "Percy." She gasped, "just keep your eyes open."

"Die, faithless one, " Echidna rasped, and the Chimera sent a column of flame towards them.

"Father, help me," Percy prayed, grabbing onto Selena and they jumped.

Selena screamed, "What the fuck?! Percy!"  as the river raced towards them at the speed of a truck. Steeples and skyscrapers and bridges tumbled in and out of their vision. Just before they reached the water, Percy reached out and wrapped his arms around her, placing himself under Selena so he would hit the water first.

They hit the water with a smack and sank through the murk. Their impact with the water hadn't hurt. They were falling slowly now, bubbles trickling up through Percy's fingers. They settled on the river bottom soundlessly. A large catfish lurched away into the gloom. Clouds of silt and disgusting garbage-beer bottles, old shoes, plastic bags-swirled up all around the two demi-gods.