Chapter 12

Dedicated Chapter Song: Throw the First Stone - Black Veil Brides

Sitting on your throne you rest your pretty bones. Don't act like you're alive. Take another chance to do this on my own. But you will let it die. Feels like a lifetime living in this pain. A whole world passes me by. Losing the daylight but I must admit that you're suiting for this lie. Another lie.
(Hysteria to Anna)

*A century ago*

“Kyeh! Ha...ha...ha...” Hysteria exhaled a breathe, her chest heaving from all the physical activity she'd endured throughout the day. A dead boy laid at her feet— or rather, several did. Hysteria threw her white as snow hair over her shoulder and glared at the line by the training barracks. “Who’s next?!” she barked, hungry for more blood.

A group of young trainees shivered, each looking at one another in fear. “I believe...” spoke a curly fair-haired boy, glancing down at a brunette girl, who was already crying behind her black mask. She knew she was next. “Urrie is next...”

“Cullen, I don't want to go,” the girl whispered. “She’s a monster.”

Hysteria whistled, twirling her dagger about in her hand. “I'm waaaaiting. If you don't get over here now, I'll just kill you where you stand.” Urrie glanced up to Cullen with her bright blue eyes. “Save me...”

Another group of boys grabbed Urrie by her arms and threw her into the fighting ring. Hysteria laughed. “This is pitiful. Whatever. I'll make a tasty snack outta you.”

The young adolescent reached out and took up the two daggers the boy before her had failed to use properly. “I...I...” Anna slowly rose to her feet. “Won’t go down so easily...” she threatened. No one else ever dared to stand up to Hysteria. She was a goddess, after all. At least, the supposed descendant of one. “Puh! All talk and no action. Say ’ello to your mum in hell for me, Urrie.” Hysteria brought her arm behind her head before throwing a knife at the brunette, who ducked out of instinct.

“Huh?” Hysteria blinked, her red eyes filled with confusion. Typically her enemies would freeze up. “You think... that's going to kill me...?” Urrie breathed out. “You're going to have to try a lot harder.” The girl was brave enough to directly strike Hysteria, her double daggers coming in contact with Hysteria’s dagger of Kris— a long wavy blade with a black leather hilt. “You little bitch!” Hysteria gnashed her fangs at the girl.

Urrie recoiled and jumped out of the way as Hysteria flipped her dagger in her palm and sliced outwards towards her opponent. “Woah, Anna is fast,” remarked a blonde-haired, blue-eyed girl. “Not necessarily,” spoke the boy from before, Cullen. “Anna is only managing to dodge the Crow’s attacks.”

“Crow?” the blonde was surprised, pulling aside a redhead girl and wrapping her arms protectively around her. “She insisted we call her that. It's best if we do not know her true name. Remember, Boss informed us that we're on a need-to-know basis and we don't need to know who she is.”