28. The Plan

"Morning guys" I greet my collegues as I walk into the station with a bright smile on my face.

I couldn't wait to see Maya today. I had come up with the idea of taking her back to my place on Friday night, just for dinner and a movie and then I'd drop her back home.

It was selfish in a way; I'd be able to keep an eye on her but I knew she would be thrilled about being able to hang out at my place again. She felt safe there and that made me happier than anything.

I make it into my office and get my computer booted up before a ruckus in the lobby earns my attention. I look up and my heart drops into my stomach when I see a distraught Katy and angry Shawn.

Maya.

I jump out of my seat and pull open my door, hastily walking towards the commotion. "Woah, woah. What's going on?" I demand, pushing through the crowd of officers attempting to subdue Maya's parents.

"Josh!" Shawn exclaims. "She's gone. She never came home last night and she's not answering her phone."

"Where is she?" Katy demands.

My chest tightens and it's as if all the air has left my lungs.

He has her. Aiden took Maya.

"Shit" I murmur as the Sargeant walks up to us.

"Matthews what the hell is going on here?"

"Our daughter is missing" Katy exclaims.

"Okay" Connor nods, "if you give us her name and-."

"It's Maya" I interrupt. "Sir I have reason to believe it's Waters who has her."

"Waters?" Shawn questions. "Maya's boyfriend."

"Ex" Katy and I say at the same time. Shawn looks at me confusedly and I return my gaze to Connor.

"He's been threatening her and I since his first arrest sir."

"He almost shot him last week" Zeke interjects, coming to back me up.

"Why is he so against you?" Connor questions.

"The bust of Justin" Zeke shrugs. "Josh took his supplier off the streets."

"So what? An ex-boyfriend doesn't just kidnap his ex-girlfriend because his supplier got arrested."

I sigh, rubbing the back of my neck. "He does when his ex-girlfriend gave intel to a cop that led to the arrest."

"Excuse me?" Shawn demands. "She was shadowing you! She didn't sign onto the force."

"I know that" I snap. "It just sorta happened. She didn't even know he dealt until I told her. He'd been making advances at her for a while before then though. She trusted me and so she called me while she was at a party a couple weeks ago to pick her up. I told her to tip off the cops about the drugs at the party and Justin got busted."

"The informant was Maya?" Connor questions. "Why wouldn't she just come forward and give Aiden up too?"

"Because" I start. I let out a deep breath and sigh. "Because he found out that she wasn't just my shadow. I've been sneaking around with her practically since the day she started."

"You son of a bitch. That's my daughter" Shawn shouts.

"Yes I know that" I exclaim. "But she's eighteen. It's legal and it wasn't like I was having quickies with her in my squad car. She's my girlfriend. I love her."

"You love her?" Shawn laughs. "Yea okay."

"Matthews you realize this is your badge? I warned you" Connor reminds me.