A Val's surprise

“Seriously Michael, we have been planning this trip for weeks now and suddenly you don’t want to go!” Samira shouted into the phone as she frantically paced the length of her kitchen floor.

“I’m sorry” he said over the phone, he sounded apologetic but she knew better, Michael had been avoiding this outing since the day she thought of it. She thought it was a nice plan, heck it was a great plan but they had all scoffed at it.

According to her other best friend, lira, “it is a stupid idea, I would like to spend the day with my sweetheart not with you all” she gestured to all four of them.

“I bet your sweetheart doesn’t know two plus two” Luke had said and they had all laughed before he turned to Samira, “but seriously, I want to score with my home girl if you know what I mean.” He wiggled his eyebrows suggestively while she scoffed.

“So nobody wants to come with me?” she asked as all four faces stared back at her as if she had grown a new tail.

“Sorry” Luke said before staring at his food as if it were the most interesting thing in the world. How she would like to just smash the slimy spaghetti and meatballs on his face and shove some down his trousers.

“I can’t” lira said with an apologetic shrug.

“I really can’t come, Jehovah witness and all” Sandra said and Samira nodded, her case was understandable, but the rest of them had no story.

“I might come but I can’t say” Michael spoke up.

“Ah! Come on Michael, united front and all” Luke said throwing his hands up in the air as if to say ‘what the hell’

“I really wouldn’t mind choking you right now” Sandra said and then it happened.

A strand of spaghetti went the wrong way and he sure as hell would never forget this moment.

“So let me get this straight, you would all pass up an opportunity to spend one of the most important day of the year, a day to celebrate with people you love-“

“Here we go” Michael said rolling his eyes dramatically.

“You can also-” lira started

“Shut up” Sandra snapped. “You can continue,” she nodded at Samira.

“A day to have fun and show love, a paid trip to the woods where you can get in touch with nature

“Or catch diabetes-“

“Shut up Michael!” they all shouted and he shrugged, backing off with his hands raised in surrender.

“As I was saying, where you can get in touch with nature and discover your inner selves,” they all nodded with disinterest and  she gave up, “fine! Ok! I guess I will go on my own then since nobody cares about me, you all go be with your obnoxious boyfriends and all.”

“I’m not gay” Luke said.

“Who asked you?” lira spat.

“She said ‘you all can go be with your obnoxious boyfriends! I’m not gay” he said and groaned out when both Michael and Sandra hit him on the shoulder.

Then weeks later a certain someone decided to go with her on the camping trip on the v-day only for him to change his mind.

“You are an asshole!” she screamed into the phone before cutting of the call and slamming the phone hard on the ground, except it hit the rug and bounced off. Even the phone was mocking her.

“I’ll do this myself” she declared before heading for the stairs and straight to her room. Her elder sister just shook her head at her before turning back to the television, no amount of drama was going to make her miss her favorite tv series ‘how to get away with murder.’