The Third Degree

[Edited April 18, 2023]

It was a long time later when someone interrupted his sulking. That someone happened to be Bruce-- who he still wasn't all that excited to see. 

The older man knocked twice on his door before poking his head inside. Nico didn't look over where he was curled up on the bed, his back facing the door. Bruce stepped inside since it was clear that he wasn't asleep. He wasn't even under the blankets. Nico wouldn't look at him, still hurt by the tone Bruce had taken with him earlier.

He just needed to be alone for a little while. Was that too much to ask for?

"Nico, I'm sorry if I came across too harshly earlier. I'm just frustrated. There are too many unknowns when it comes to you." Nico felt the bed dip behind him and he knew Bruce had perched himself on the edge. He could feel the man's gaze flit across him. Nico swallowed hard, feeling his heart sink into his chest.

 What was he saying? Was he going to say that there were just too many unknowns for him to let Nico stay? That he was too much of a liability? That he was a security risk and he didn't trust him? Was Bruce going to ship him off somewhere else? To another foster home or something? An orphanage? Put him back out on the streets? Nico didn't know how this system worked.

"Nico? Talk to me. I can't help if I don't know what you're thinking," Bruce gently rested a hand on the boy's shoulder. His grip was loose with uncertainty.

"Are you kicking me out?" Nico asked at last. His voice was more emotional than he was expecting and he felt heat rise in his cheeks. This was not how he was trying to come across.

"No! That's not what I'm saying at all. Nico, I'm not going to send you away, ok? Can you look at me?" Bruce gently tugged at the boy's shoulder, encouraging him to roll over to face him. Nico allowed the adjustment. He still didn't trust himself to meet Bruce's eyes so he stared at the duvet instead.

"I'm not sending you away," Bruce repeated lightly. Nico considered this for a few tense moments before he pulled himself into a sitting position. He got comfortable, hugging his knees to his chest and wiping away a stray tear he hadn't meant to shed.

"Promise?" Nico hated how fragile his voice sounded. He hated that he didn't think he could handle the idea that Bruce would want to get rid of him. Bruce scooted closer to the boy on the bed, wrapping a strong arm around his shoulders, and pulling him tightly against his side.

"I promise I'm never going to send you away. You're stuck with us," Bruce joked lightly. Nico chuckled despite himself.

"You're sure you still want me?" Nico wiped away more tears and Bruce handed him a tissue from his nightstand to blow his nose.

"You're sure you still want to stay?" Bruce countered. Nico nodded and the oldest Wayne rubbed his shoulders comfortingly.

"Then welcome home. My offer to make you part of this family officially still stands. Whenever you're ready," Bruce reminded him, gently.

"After you learn my secret," Nico replied softly. He wouldn't feel right accepting their offer without being sure that they knew what they were getting into.

"I'll ask you again when that happens. Sound good?" Nico nodded again and accepted another tissue. He was feeling a lot better about his status in this family than he had before. Was this what unconditional acceptance felt like? He wasn't sure he would go so far as to call it love, but it felt close. It felt right.

 "I know you're not allowed to tell us any more, but I wanted to know... if we guess, can you tell us if we're right or wrong?" the demigod shrugged. He supposed that he would be able to. He wasn't telling them and at that point, it would become common knowledge which would mean that he is no longer bound by those rules.