15: Girlfriends and Boyfriends

Chemistry was in one of the normal classrooms as a different class needed the lab for an assignment,  and so Gerard was sat nervously by himself at a desk at the back, he was one of the first people in the room which means he got to pick where she sat, but he dreaded to hear the teacher mention that they still had to sit in their partners as if it were a normal lesson.

Gerard sighed, worryingly, knowing that eventually Frank would walk in and he would have to talk to Frank about the kiss and confront him about not replying to his texts. He just hoped Frank felt as nervous as he did, if not, more.

He got his notebook out after his teacher, Mrs. Rosemary, had instructed him too, feeling a weight on his shoulders when he heard the chair creak next to him and  he looked up to see Frank who was sat silently, getting his own notebook and pen out.

The class was quiet while she spoke, the occasional whispers and giggling between friends sounded around the room, but mostly just a lot of people writing down whatever Mrs. Rosemary said to, Gerard only just understanding her mumbled words.

"Can I copy off of you, I can't understand her, she keeps mumbling," Frank suddenly asked, his first words to Gerard since the kiss that he couldn't stop thinking about. Gerard felt to nervous the reply verbally so he just nodded, hating that Frank  was going to act like nothing happened, although he realised that it was peobsnly just easier. "Thanks."

Gerard felt annoyed in that Frank refused to acknowledge what happened and felt no reason to speak to Frank unless he actually had to or unless he was going to confront him- otherwise, words failed him.

Soon enough, after a few minutes, Gerard had zoned out, staring at one of the windows to his right, his eyes focused on one if the blinds, wishing his mind to go blank instead of thinking about the dreaded conversation that they needed to have but didn't know how to start it.

"Are you okay?" Frank asked suddenly, his voice light and giggly, snapping Gerard out of his focus, "you zoned out for a second there."

"Why did you kiss me?" Gerard asked, looking at Frank, the question suddenly breaking Frank's happy stature, and he looked immediately guilty, looking down at his book. Gerard hummed bitterly, and didn't say anything else for the rest of the lesson, waiting for the bell to ring.

He got up, book and pen packed away and he made him was out of the classroom, only to feel a tug on his arm to see that Frank caught up with him, honestly feeling annoyed by Frank's behavior.

"Skip class with me," he stated almsot like a question, and Gerard, without a second thought, nodded and followed Frank, who pulled on his wrist towards the back exits, leaving without many people noticing.

They didn't entirely leave school grounds though, instead, they his under a tree in the back outside area, knowing that no one would see them if any teachers came to check for missing students.

They sat on the grass in silence, Gerard picking at the green that was growing around him, and staring at a dandelion that he toyed with, not yet pulling it out of the ground.

He didn't know what to expect Frank to say, hopefully an explanation and an apology as to why he was playing with Gerard's feelings. Gerard couldn't lie to himself, he was sensitive, and he hated what he guessed that Frank was trying to do with him.

Frank had cheated on Jamia with Gerard, and he hated to think that he felt guiltier about if than Frank did. But when Frank did finally explain, it didn't seem like enough but Gerard wanted to avoid pushing it.

"I like you," Frank said suddenly, and Gerard looked up at him but Frank was facing the ground. "I do, it's just, I have a girlfriend and I like her too."

Gerard nodded, not that Frank could see, and stayed silent otherwise, sighing loudly as he heard sudden thunder rumbling above them, the sky filling with grey clouds and Gerard rolled his eyes, perfect he thought bitterly.

"But," Frank took the silence as a means to continue, "she feels more like a sister now, I take care of her a lot, she needs help but I don't see her like that so much anymore, but you," Frank trailed off, not sure how to continue.

But Gerard didn't know what to say or think or feel, and he didn't know how he was supposed to even react. But sure enough, Frank continued, thankfully breaking the uncomfortable silence that had overcome them.

"I like you," Frank said, eyes looking up to meet Gerard's now. "Can I kiss you?"

Gerard wanted to say yes, he really did, but Jamia stopped him. He would feel awdful to know that he had intentionally kissed somebody else's boyfriend, and equally as terrible to here if someone chested on him.

"No," Gerard said, sighing, looking at Frank's lips for a moment, watching them fall into a frown, but that didn't deter him from his answer. "If you break up with Jamie, fine, but I can't kiss someone who is with somebody else, I shouldn't have let you the other day, I regret that."

Gerard didn't actually regret that kiss, but he felt more guilt about it rhen anything fond over it. He saw Frank's face shift from sad to sadder and felt his stomach tighten, but he wouldn't let it change his mind, he didn't want to be the reason that Frank was unfaithful to his girlfriend, he wouldn't let him.

"I understand," Frank nodded, sighing and laying down on the grass. "I'm sorry."

Gerard was silent again before he picked out the dandelion and attempted to put it in his hair, before lying down on the grass beside Frank, staring up at the tree and through the branches and seeing the bright blue and cloudy sky.

Somehow though, it didn't rain that day.

-

I wrote this immediately after the previous chapter and then took a hap but I am back and updating a second time t o d a y. February has been the month of updates. Three updates this month since last March like this shit is whack.

Also I am back with another recommendation, a fic that I have just started called Masterpiece by innocent_wolves on ao3. I love innocent_wolves a lot, they wrote my all time favourite- Envision The Magic which you definitely should also read (it's incredible imo). Masterpiece was written around 2011/2012 and the chapters are super short but I'm a few chapters in and I am in love with the characters of it tbh.

(You need to also have an ao3 account to read it just fyi, although someone has uploaded envision on wattpad which is in one of my reading lists I'm sure so you can read that one there if you want idk).

So yeah anyway, enjoy this update, I don't know when the next one will come, sorry. xx