Reveal - Chapter 12

A/N:
I'm sorry for the lack of an update! This part of the story was just filler honestly, but it had to be there. I've decided to skip the last two shrines, if I didn't, I would probably lose the motivation to write those chapters. Sadly, this chapter is also pretty much a filler. Next chapter, however, will be much more exciting, and not follow the script of Zelda as closely.

You and Link had climbed to the top of Mount Hylia and claimed the Cyronis rune from the next shrine. Without wasting much time, you trekked to the final shrine and completed it, earning the final rune.

After you exited the shrine, you heard a familiar voice call to you. Looking up, you see the old man gliding down to you on his paraglider.

"It appears that you have claimed all the spirit orbs!" He exclaims. Suddenly wistful, the old man turns away from you before murmuring a quiet sentence.

"Link, (Y/n). It's finally time I told you everything."

You share a quizzical look with Link before the old man turns back to face you.

"Imagine there is an X on your map, with the four shrines as end points. Meet me where the two lines intersect. I shall wait for you there."

Your eyes widen as the old man starts to fade into green sparks.

"There... I will... be waiting..." His voice was fading.

"No, wait!-" Link calls out, reaching for the old man's cloak. His fingers grasp nothing but air. Link turns back to you, your own shock reflected in his gaze. You couldn't figure out what to say, so you sat in silence for a moment.

"So... I guess we should find him then." You finally manage to speak.

Link nods and pulls out his Sheikah Slate, examining the map. He traces the line connecting the shrines, and points to the Temple of Time.

"There," he says. "That's where they connect."

"Then lets go," you reply, before warping to the Great Plateau Tower. Link follows close behind, and just as night begins to fall you make it to the Temple of Time.

The old man calls out to you from the rooftop, the green fire still floating around him.

"Up here!"

You and Link wordlessly climb the latter onto the roof to meet the old man. He's turned away from you, gazing out over Hyrule Castle.

When you reach the platform, he turns to you, chuckling.

"Well done, young ones! Now then, it's time to show you who I truly am."

"I was King Rhoam Bosphoramus Hyrule. I was... the last leader of Hyrule. A kingdom that no longer exists."

And with that, the old man's aura starts to shine brighter. It's so bright, in fact, that you had to shield your eyes from the blinding light.

When the light finally faded, the old man was no longer in front of you. Instead, it was a king. Rhoam's royal outfit shimmered in the light of his aura, and he hovered a foot above the ground.

You glance at Link to see that he is just as shocked as you are.

A king? You think to yourself. Why was he masquerading as an old man?

"The Great Calamity was merciless. It took my life away from me, and since then I have remained here in spirit form," Rhoam glanced away from you two, back to the castle that was surrounded by the swirling black smoke.

"I didn't think it wise to overwhelm you while your memory was still fragile, so I assumed a temporary form. I apologize for deceiving you."

Rhoam kept speaking, and you found yourself drifting off into your own thoughts. If the old man was actually a dead king, why did he ask for you to complete the shrines? What could he gain?