Chapter Thirty-Five

Korra's POV

I looked out the cafe window and observed as people walked past by. They all had their earphones on or were preoccupied with their phones with the same emotionless expression. All they probably thought about was getting to their destination, wherever that may be.

But today was completely different for me. I couldn't stop my lips from forming spreading widely to my cheeks, my hands were sweating and shaking and my feet were tapping frantically on the floor. I was practically dancing salsa.

Every time the bell above the entrance rang as the door would swing open I couldn't help but look towards it hoping it would be her. Then every time it wasn't, I would feel a little impatient, but at the same time relieved as the fact that I could mentally prepare myself once again.

But the next time it rang, Asami stepped inside. She wore a plain white summer dress, with a little embroidery on its chest. Her hair was plaited and hung on her right shoulder. She wore light makeup and she spun her head around looking for me. I stood up and once she saw me, she grinned widely and skipped towards the booth.

"Hi," she greeted cheerfully.

"Hi," I smiled with the same expression. We both sat down across from each other on either side of the table. Our eyes would meet momentarily and instinctively, we'd look away with both our cheeks painted a dash of pink.

"We should order something," I laughed humourlessly. Asami continued to smile.

"What can I get you, ladies?" A waiter approached us and gave Asami a flirtatious wink.

"I'll have the strawberry cheesecake," I said monotonously, adding a hint of annoyance in my voice. The waiter looked at me curiously. Asami giggled.

"I'll have the same thing as my girlfriend." She said confidently, making me choke on my own saliva. The waiter blushed instantaneously, gave an awkward nod and scurried back to the kitchen.

Asami laughed as I coughed my lungs out.

"I'm sorry," She said in between breaths as I continued to glare at her. "Just, that's the first time I've seen you jealous. I couldn't help it,"

"You have seen me jealous before, just not that obvious." I smiled at her.

"So did you, whenever you were with Bolin."

The table went silent. The very mention of Bolin's name made me want to claw at my own skin, as the guilt in the shape of a spider crawled across my body.

"I'd hate to be the bearer of bad news, but.." Asami trailed off, as she stared at her nails.

"I know. I'll tell him."

I reached across the table to take hold of her other hand resting on the table. Our finger intertwined as if they were made for each other. Like long lost magnets finally interlinked with the other half.

"Then we can tell everyone about us."

~~~~

After a whole afternoon of spending time with Asami, I skipped towards my house with glee. After we had lunch, Asami dragged me to different clothing stores. We tried on different outfits together, occasionally giving each other advice on our chosen styles. Even though we were in a closer relationship, we didn't abandon our friendship.