LI • Jesus and the Daisy Chain

"Daphne, come back," Letty's voice was firm but carried a slight edge of worry as it barked through the radio.

"There's my girl," Daphne said, twisting her shoulders to look up at Jesus.

He seemed reluctant to answer, staring down at the speaker.

"Letting my people know that I'm alive and well would be for the best," Daphne singsonged. "If Negan thinks I've been killed by Alexandrians...thinks could get—"

"Daryl," Jesus called, pulling his horse to a halt. He grasped Daphne's waist and flipped her into a sitting position.

She settled onto his thigh, happy to be upright, if a little off balance from being bound.

"Daphne, come back, over," Letty repeated, and Jesus held the radio up in front of the blonde's face.

"Tell her what's going on," he instructed, and then pressed the button.

"You're going to make me do it?" Daphne wrinkled her nose. "It's embarrassing." She pouted playfully, realizing that he hadn't let go of the button and Letty would be listening to all of this. "Okay, so, Daryl and Jesus have the hots for each other but couldn't admit it so I had to have a threesome with them—"

Her captor sighed and rolled his eyes, letting go of the button as his hand dropped into her lap.

"You let them kidnap you?" Letty inquired in her no-nonsense tone, and Jesus raised the walkie talkie to his lips. As he opened his mouth Daphne leaned forward.

"Carol hit me in the head with a fucking teapot!" she whined, and he shoved her sideways to flip her back over the horse in front of him. She kicked her tied legs, trying to shimmy her way off, but he pressed a hand firmly down on her lower back to hold her still.

"We want Maggie," Jesus said into the radio, voice even and cool. "And Negan is to deliver her, alone."

Daphne barked a laugh at his demand, shaking her head.

"That's not going to happen," Letty replied. "The Saviors are going to burn Alexandria and Hilltop to the ground for all the trouble you've caused."

Daryl swung around and snatched the radio from Jesus' hand.

"I seen enough of her and Negan together to know this bitch is important," he growled. "And you ain't gonna burn anything down without his say. And he ain't gonna do nothin' without our say."

"You're going to have to threaten me better than that to be at all intimidating there, bulldog," Daphne teased, and Jesus huffed his annoyance.

"I'm going to find you," Letty said, voice stone cold. "You're not going to like it when I do."

Daryl shoved the radio into his horse's saddlebag and kicked, taking off at a trot. Jesus pursed his lips and followed, his captive letting out a giggle.

"You guys were fucked before, but you're spitroasted now," she sang.

He shook his head. "Living in constant fear of the Saviors is no life," he said. "We had to fight back."

"By manipulating Rick into killing a bunch of people in their sleep?" Daphne scoffed. "Great plan."

"We didn't manipulate Rick, he offered when Gregory refused to trade with him." He clenched his jaw. "He didn't want to appear weak, but we couldn't trade because we didn't have enough supplies to spare. Because of Negan. Because of the Saviors at that outpost who were loyal to Negan."

"I get the whole oppression thing, hipster Jesus, trust me," she assured him. "But this is just getting ridiculous now. You can't win this. And the more shit you pull, the worse it's going to be for you and your people."

"At least I tried," he replied.

She rolled her eyes. "How noble of you. Though if you were smart you would have rescued Maggie too, so you held more cards. She's a weakness to every Alexandrian, which makes up most of your resistance."

"You are very calm about being a P-O-W." Jesus raised an eyebrow. "Helpful, even."

"Weird, isn't it?" Daphne asked innocently.

He clenched his jaw, and she could see the wheels turning in his head. She needed to dig her claws in deep, play the games she needed to play to stay alive long enough for Letty to get to her. With these two, she didn't think it would be too difficult to do so.

 With these two, she didn't think it would be too difficult to do so

The daisy chain went as follows:

Letty to Ryan, one of her Kingdom scouts. Ryan to Derrick, who was operating the outpost radio. Derrick told Gavin in person, because he didn't want to be the one to relay the message to Sanctuary. Gavin didn't want to either, but put on his big boy pants.

Gavin to Colin, who happened to be filling in for the usual Savior operating the radio tower, and regretted volunteering as soon as he received the message. Colin to Jude, a passing Savior, with instructions to inform Arat.

Jude circled the Sanctuary twice before making his way inside, running into Simon and telling him of his orders. Simon took on the message, and deciding that the stairs were too much for his leg at that particular moment, radio'd Arat to meet him on the landing.

She did, and Simon relayed to Arat, who knew that after this massive rigamarole that she was going to have to be the one to tell Negan.

When she reached the top floor, his door was ajar and she peeked in before entering. Tanya laid across the massive bed, lazily flipping through a magazine. Arat noticed the balcony doors open, and figured Negan must be on the roof.

"Are you done?" The Lieutenant raised an eyebrow, and Tanya looked up at her with an amused smile.

"Done what?" she asked. "He hasn't touched any of us since he started banging the Wife Killer. I think he asked me to hang out in here just to keep up appearances."

Arat took a deep breath. "Well you keep 'hanging out,'" she said, and strode out to the balcony. Just in case...she thought, as she grasped the first rung. When her head crested the roof, her heart sank a little at the sight of the boss practicing his swing with Lucille.

Negan was restless. Being infiltrated by Jesus, losing Daryl, Fat Joey being in critical care...when Letty had reported that she would be picking up Daphne, Daryl and Carol, he'd only relaxed a little. He'd wanted to jump in a Jeep and go get them himself but it made more sense for Letty to do it since she was already out there.

He just had a shit feeling, a wired anxiety that he couldn't quench. He'd thought about fucking his way through it, but when Tanya strolled into his room he'd felt claustrophobic.

Wartimes, wartimes were fuckin' stressful.

With another harsh swing of his First Lady, Negan turned to see Arat climbing up from the ladder, a somber look on her face.

A sharp intake of breath, and he drew his bottom lip between his teeth, attempting a smirk but failing miserably.

"Daryl and Jesus took Daphne," she began, and he put up a hand to stop her from going any further.

"She's alive?" he asked, and his lieutenant nodded, waiting for an invitation to elaborate. But it didn't come. "Round up your crew and Simon's crew, ready to go in a half hour."

Arat furrowed her brow. "We need to talk about—"

"We'll talk in a half hour," Negan replied, already descending the ladder.