fifteen

"The demons tell me everything, they whisper in the night."
-Demons, Joji
________________________________

I shift my attention to the wall above his desk and glance at the photos. Many of them are of Jasper and a girl who must be his sister, since she has the same shiny blonde hair and icy blue eyes. There's one of his mum, who is pretty with a light sprinkle of freckles across her nose. The others are photos of mountains and lakes and trees, so beautiful.

"You're very talented," I murmur.

"It's the only thing that makes me feel normal. Like I'm not as crazy as everyone thinks I am," Jasper confesses, sitting on the edge of his bed which is beneath his window.

I eye a photo of the ocean, the sun shimmering across it, making the blue hues in its blackness look bluer. Like his eyes.

But the ocean takes my mind back to Alec, and so I ask quietly, "What about Alec?"

"Alec West?" Jasper asks.

I nod, refusing to meet his gaze by staring straight ahead at the photos.

"He's the leader of the Fighters."

I turn around and frown. "He is?"

Jasper nods and turns his attention to the morning sun out the window. "What about him?"

"What do you think of him?" I say, turning around and watching him.

He shrugs. "Seems like he's got a past darker than most people here. Which says a lot. But I reckon he tries to cover it up with his signature 'Alex West' smile."

I nod to myself.

"Why'd you ask?" He turns his attention back to me again.

Great, now you're screwed.

I turn back around to face the photos so that he can't see the lie in my eyes when I say, "No reason. Just saw him yesterday in the Common Room."

He doesn't say anything, and so I finally turn around and eye him sceptically. He's gazing at me with a curious look in his eyes, like he's looking into my soul.

"You and Alec- you're friends?" he asks, a small smile hinting on his lips.

I take a few steps forward until I'm stood right in front of him, and look down at those heart-melting blue eyes. "I suppose so."

I'm waiting for him to say something like Alec had said about me being friends with a Sosio. That I shouldn't be friends with Fighters. But instead, he smiles to himself and nods.

Then, Jasper slowly lifts his hands and rests them on my waist. I watch his unreadable expression as they slither up and down my sides until he gently pulls me forwards. I straddle his lap, and he whispers into my ear, "Your willingness to trust him amazes me."

He plants light kisses along my neck while I tilt my head back and mumble, "Who said I trust him? Who said I trust anyone here?"

"Smart girl," he murmurs into the side of my neck.

His face draws level with mine once more, although I'm sitting slightly above him. I wrap my arms around his back, and suddenly I'm not thinking of Alec anymore.

Only Jasper.

He leans in and only stops when his lips are an inch from mine.

"You're cruel," I whisper, eyeing his soft pink lips. He smirks and I finally press my lips to his, running my hand through his hair. Fireworks go off in my head while a few go off in my heart too.

"I can't disagree with that," he whispers back, before locking his lips with mine again.

I trail my hands down his muscular arms, feeling the veins on his arms as he kisses me softly.

My heart is pumping against my chest which is pressed against his. His hands move to my thighs and he gently lifts me up while I grip his neck but don't end the kiss. He places me flat on my back on the bed while he locks the door.

He leans down over me, hands on either side of my body, caging me beneath his broad frame.

Jasper doesn't look up when I moan his name, but instead buries his head into my neck, kissing me roughly while my fingernails claw into his toned back.

He eventually leans back a little, eyes gazing into mine. Grinning alluringly, he sits back and slides his shirt off his head, throwing it to the side and exposing his body. I run my finger along the muscle line, before he leans down and slips my shirt off my head, tossing it behind him.

But just as he leans back down again, there's a loud knocking at Jasper's door. He stops, scowling, still couching above me, and says, "Yes?"

"Mr Walker, it's Rosa. I've been notified that you haven't attended lessons today," Principal Donovan responds from outside the door.

He shoots me a look, before clearing his throat and saying back, "I'm ill."

"Let me in, Jasper," she says. Jasper scrambles off me, yanking on his shirt. I grab mine from the floor and slip it over my head. Jasper stares at me, eyes anxious but there's a hint of humour there too.

I motion to the window, and he nods.

"I'm coming, Miss Donovan, I just need to get some proper clothes on, I wouldn't want you seeing me in my pyjamas." He lets out a short laugh before sliding open the window and helping me out onto the ledge.

"Mr Walker," Rosa huffs impatiently.

"I'm almost ready!" he calls over his shoulder, as I turn around.

"Don't fall, okay?" he whispers quickly, placing his hand onto my cheek.

"I've got better coordination that that," I reassure, leaning in and pressing my lips to his. He smirks through the final kiss, before I pull away and scoot along the edge to my own window.