Memory Lane

Chapter Thirty Nine - Memory Lane

"Missed me, love?"

Thump. Thump.

Is that my heartbeat?

Was I dreaming?

I watched in surprise as the last person I was expecting to see at the party walked in my direction.

Heat surged through my body as I took in his appearance. He was wearing an immaculate suit, his hair styled back neatly yet making him look like a hot mess at the same time. But it was his tie that caught my attention.

It was the same black tie I had gifted him in Barbados.

But how does he have it? I thought we left it there when I threw it at him in my drunken state.

He kept my gift?

And why was he wearing it now?

I lifted my gaze up to his face.

His blue eyes flickered with amusement. "I'll take that as a yes."

"Alec....," I trailed off.

There was merely an inch left between us and I found myself shifting back unless my back came in contact with the wall and he caged me with his arms.

I took in a deep breath as his piercing gaze scrutinized my face.

"You said you would come back," He muttered.

I gulped, not knowing what to say.

"I stopped by at your house. Heard you didn't wanna see me," He spoke in his deep husky voice.

His nose nuzzled against my cheek, making my legs turn to jelly and I held my breath.

"Is that true?" He whispered.

I shut my eyes when his lips came in contact with my jaw. My hands lifted up to his shoulders in an involuntary move.

I felt his fingers brush against my neck and I shivered in delight when his minty breath fanned against my lips.

"Why didn't you come back, Scarlet?" He whispered in my ear, causing a shiver to run down my spine.

"I-uh-I needed time."

"It's been a week. Did you not miss me at all?" His tone was accusing.

If only you knew, Alec.

He gave my waist a gentle squeeze. "Did you not miss anything about me?"

"Alec, please let me go-" I was cut short when his lips fell on mine.

I shut my eyes to savour the entirety of him after so long. He kissed me softly and tangled his fingers in my hair, pulling at them gently. I let out a moan when his other hand started rubbing circles at the base of my neck.

"Alec," I moaned softly when he hoisted me up in his arms and trailed kisses along my jawline.

I wrapped my arms around his neck tightly and ran my fingers through his hair.

"Scarlet?" He spoke in between breaths.

"Yeah?"

"Please come back home," He muttered. "I've missed you."

My heart skipped a beat.

I opened my eyes to find him looking at me with the most truthful look ever and that's when I felt a lump forming in my throat.

Before I could control my emotions, a tear rolled down my cheek.

"Just......let me go," I broke into a tiny sob, which caused him to frown and wipe the tears away. He put me down and I attempted to walk away from him but he caged me with his arms once more.