Chapter 13

Dedicated Chapter Song: Come Alive - The Greatest Showman OST

And you're more than you could ever be 'cause you're dreaming with your eyes wide open. And you know, you can't go back again to the world that you were living in 'cause you're dreaming with your eyes wide open.
(Anna)

"Yeah!" Ruby rushed to her friend once the ceremony was over

"Yeah!" Ruby rushed to her friend once the ceremony was over. The Levi squad retreated inside the castle to congratulate their new king and queen, while everyone else simply went home. "You did it, Anna! You're Queen now!" she guffawed, her bright green eyes shining with enthusiasm. Though Anna did not return the look. She kept her head up high and faked a smile. "Yeah, huh? Feels strange...going from some Underground rebel to a motherfucking queen... I don't deserve it."

"No one deserves it more than you!" Ruby cheered, clapping her hands together. Eren placed a hand on her arm. "Maybe..." he cautiously spoke side-eyeing Anna, who glared at him. "We should wait until we reclaim Wall Maria to celebrate..." Ruby gasped suddenly. “Riiiight! Oh, by the way, we managed to excavate enough of the substance of the walls in that cavern. It's perfect for lighting houses and a great alternative to torches. According to Hanji, we can now perform construction on Wall Rose during the nighttime, which will allow us to add new technology to the Wall and kill Titans without getting ourselves hurt.”

Anna smiled just slightly. “I'm so proud of you all. None of this would have been possible if you guys hadn't given your all. So...thanks.” she beamed. “It's not all just them,” a calm voice spoke from behind her. Anna straightened her back in the presence of her husband. The others gasped, taking a bow.

“King Levi!” Eren nervously spoke. As Levi approached, he sucked his teeth. “Tch, enough of that, shitty brats. Cut the crap.” Eren looked up at him. “Oh, sorry, sir.” Anna let out a soft laugh. “There's no need to be formal to us when we're all alone. However, we do have a meeting this afternoon to discuss arrangements for the reclamation of Wall Maria. Darius Zackley will be there as well as... unfortunately,” she muttered the last word under her breathe. “Nile Dawk.”

“Tragic.” Levi added on. “I have no doubt the topic of Hysteria will arise. What the hell do we plan to do next?” Anna suddenly felt the urge to throw up. “Excuse me.” she put a hand to her mouth and shoved her way through everyone to the nearest door outside or bathroom, whichever came first.

“Is...she okay?” Eren worriedly asked. “It's most likely the pressure getting to her.” Sasha commented. Ruby pursed her lips, her eyes flickering to Levi, then down to the floor. He'd caught that, however. “What? What did you see?”

“Huh?" Ruby innocently looked up. “Oh, I-I-I didn't see— nothing. It's nothing. Anna is just not feeling well.” she forced a smile, but it wasn't fooling anyone. “Ruby...” Eren said in a warning tone. “Something’s wrong, isn't it?” Ruby shamefully lowered her head. “I have nothing to say. It isn't right of me. I have to go. Please excuse me.” with that, she ran off, in the opposite direction that Anna had.

“Strange,” Connie muttered. “They're probably both stressed,” Historia spoke up. “Hysteria had the largest effect on both of them. They know her more than any of us.” Mikasa shook her head. “I don't believe that's what wrong. Ruby saw something wrong with Anna. She's hiding it from us.”

Levi didn't stay to talk and practically jogged in the direction Anna had fled. “There he goes.” Jean commented.

Anna was on her knees in the dirt behind some bushes, one handing on her stomach and the other trying to keep her breakfast from coming up her throat. “Stay down, stay down... God, this can't be happening. Not now... I'm not ready now...”

But her body was defiant and emptied out her breakfast anyhow. After throwing up for a solid five minutes, she ended up sobbing, keeping her head in her hands. “What am I doing? I can't lie like this... I'm such a monster.”

Twigs and leaves crunched behind her. With a regretful sigh, she stood up. “Levi, I'm sorry I ran off. I just can't—”

“So, you're Queen now, huh?” the voice chilled her spine. Her very bones locked up, unable to move at all. No. That was impossible. The voice... it could not be his. He was dead. He died during the first attempt of reclaiming Wall Maria. “I always had faith you'd be a powerful leader. I'm sad to see that dress I bought you ended up in shreds.”

Slowly, cautiously, and with a frightened and horrified expression, Anna turned around.

“Erwin...”

“Hello, Anna.” he offered a kind smile. He was just the same as the last day she'd seen him. All perfect and unharmed, still wearing that bolo tie of his. It was impossible. “Y-You... You're... You're dead!” Erwin glanced down to his hands. “Am I? I never imagined the afterlife would be as hellish as the real world. We still haven't defeated the Titans in heaven yet.”

“I'm...going crazy. I'm hallucinating now.” she rubbed her eyes vigorously but even when blinking away the darkness, Erwin still remained where he was. “I'm not the only one who's still here.” he crossed his arms and shifted his weight to one foot. “A few of us are still okay. Rosaline, for example.”

Rose?!” Rose is alive?!” her mouth was agape in shock. “I knew it! They lied to me!” her eyes glanced back to the castle. “Those assholes...they...”

“I'm sorry I was unable to attend the wedding.” Erwin spoke. Anna blinked, but kindly smiled at him. “Oh, don't worry about that! You're here now! That's the best part!” she nervously kicked dirt over where she'd thrown up. “I see you're feeling unwell.”

“Uh...yeah...it's...it's nothing...” she knew she was even lying to herself. “Nothing important, at least. I'm just sick.” Erwin seemed to take interest in her sickness. “I can imagine Hysteria has done a number on you.”

“Yeah, I mean, she's really gone nuts in the past week. We've lost her and my brother and— wait...how do you know about Hysteria?” she slowly glanced up at him. “You told me about her.”

“I never told you about getting rid of her...we haven't disclosed that information with anyone...” it was then that Anna noticed the red glint in his eyes. “You demon...”

“Anna?” Levi called from further away. “Levi! This way!” she yelled, looking out for him. In seconds he came running up. “There you are! I've been looking everywhere for you.”

“Levi, you're not going to believe—” but the second she turned around she saw the Erwin imposter had disappeared. “Wh...where did he go?” she peeked her head around some bushes. “Who?” Levi furrowed his brows. “I could swear he was here! God, don't tell me I'm going fucking crazy again...”

“Haven't you always been crazy?” Levi remarked. “Not the time for jokes. I know that bastard is still around here.”

“Who are you talking about?”

“Nevermind...” she placed a hand against her forehead. “I'm just... hallucinating. I need to rest.” Levi skeptically watched her. “Let's get you back inside.” he took her hand and pulled her along back towards the castle. Out of instinct, Anna glanced over her shoulder, seeing the previous commander eerily smile at her from the bushes. It frightened her.

 It frightened her