john shelby: first night home. (smut warning)

FIRST NIGHT HOME.

When you had first received the letter to tell you that John and the other Shelby brothers would be returning home after a long four years away from the place they called home, you swore that you couldn't stop crying for hours at the thought of seeing your husband again. It had been too long - four excruciating years without his touch, love and company. Every night was spent by yourself in the bed that you once shared with the man that you worshipped, the only person in the world who could truly make you laugh out loud with his awful jokes.

The first night of him being home was a catastrophe. Needing a release and enough alcohol to forget the last four years of their lives for the night, you, the Shelby family and most of Small Heath all headed over to The Garrison for a night full of celebrations and remembering the men that they lost over in France. For you and John, most of the night was spent in the corner of The Garrison, catching up on lost time and stealing sloppy, drunken kisses. Happiness was the only emotion that you felt; that was until John got too disorderly and ended up spending the night in the drunk tank down at the local police station after causing a fight with a man outside of the pub. Both Arthur and Tommy ended up following John to the drunk tank because of their own drunken states but no-one seemed to care, John was happy despite being dragged to the station and that's all that mattered.

"You would've thought that they would have let you off considering you had just got back from France," you mumbled as you placed some dry toast in front of John, hoping that it would cure the hangover sickness that he was suffering from. He had only been home for around ten minutes and most of the time was spent with him saying sorry repetitively.

John shrugged before taking a bite of the toast, slowly placing it back down on the plate. "It happens. I don't want you to be angry with me though, love. The fight outside just got out of hand, I was drunk, the other bloke was drunk, and things were said that shouldn't have been said."

You shook your head and placed a quick kiss to John's forehead. "I'm not angry with you. Yeah, it wasn't ideal considering it was your first night back, but it doesn't matter, we have the rest of our lives together and I am completely and utterly satisfied with that."

John beamed as he pulled you down to sit on his lap. The smell of booze had loitered on his clothes and you pulled a face of repulsion as you attempted to wiggle free from his tight grasp.

"What's wrong, love?" he asked with a cheeky smirk, knowing full well what the issue was.

Rolling your eyes, you grabbed the toast and walked over to the bin. "Go and have a bath John."

Obeying your orders, John sarcastically saluted you before running up the stairs. Before he could reach the top, he turned back around and jogged down a few more before leaning over the side of the banister. "Garrison tonight?" he asked with pleading eyes. "Tommy lost a bet last night and all of the drinks are on him."

You nodded your head and smiled over at him. "Fine by me. However, I want us home by midnight.""

"And why is that, Mrs. Shelby?" John wiggled his eyebrows before running back up the stairs when you threatened to throw the tea-towel at him.

+++

John had missed you more than he had missed anyone. Spending the nights alone in the trenches with nothing but his hand to please him didn't even come close to the feeling of your skin on his. The letters that the two of you sent each other didn't satisfy his needs and nor did the suggestive memories that he kept locked away in his mind for private times. John was desperate to touch you and please you.