41 | ACT II, SCENE XIII

P R E V I O U S L Y

The dead men's screams tore the air apart.

VEZORT ISLAND, OCEMOND SEA.

EDWINA

"NOT THERE, VALMONT!" I SHOUTED, as Tristan dodged the huge spitball of fire I hurled at one man.

"I heard you the first time, woman!" he yelled back, whizzing a dagger and pulling out another as the blade hit its mark.

It went on and on.

There were more than two hundred Dessari.

We were just two.

"When we win, we will take you first," a Dessari soldier hissed into my ear and I gritted my teeth and swung around, throwing a knife at him. He smoothly deflected it and appeared behind me.

"Perhaps I'll have a go at you," another laughed.

"Not just you. Me and all the other men, even our beasts," the first one replied, cutting a scratch on my neck. I lashed him with my sword and he quickly fell down, but two more took his place soon enough. They lunged at me and I struck one with my sword, decapitating him. The other jumped on me and I exhaled loudly, letting fire flow through me and burn him alive.

I had no idea where my bow was, or my halberd. I only had Seraphine and my spear left, and my power was fast depleting, low enough as it had been when we entered Vezort Island. In Endollon I would never have faced this problem, for my power would almost be inexhaustible since I drew it directly from the volcano under Dracnesse.

"Behind you!" Tristan shouted from the other side. Alarmed, I swung my head around. The spikes in it caught about three Dessari, slicing their guts out in a clean stroke.

Beside me, a muffled groan rent the air as the thunder god ripped out a man's heart with his bare hands, and skewered another with just a touch. Another bunch of men moved to attack Tristan and I threw four knives at them, my perfect aim hitting the eye and making them drop dead to the ground.

He'd hold off the attackers, I'd make short work of those on hand.

We worked seamlessly, moving through the enemy with gritted determination. It seemed that the Dessari just kept on coming, for my eyes swept the carnage and there were still more than half remaining.

I'd never been in such an extreme, ruthless fight. The strength was seeping out of me, and I almost gave up.

We both turned, backs to each other, fighting as one, fighting for our life.