Chapter One

Chapter One~

"Alice!!!!" All my friends screamed at me when they opened the door to the house I planned on spending the night at with all my best friends. They all ran and squished me in a group hug as they invited me inside. I threw my bag near the front door, but kept my jacket on even though it was about, 80ish degrees outside. I wore jackets everywhere I went now, they helped to protect me from any water that might touch my skin. I hadn't seen very many of my friends at all this summer, so we all laughed and caught up with each other for a few minuets before we ran upstairs, screaming and laughing, the usuall teenage girl thing. We all chated about how excited we were to be sophmores this year and about who has boyfriends now and who got dumped. I never really joined in on those, conversations, I wasn't interested in boys, so instead I just listened to them. It was amusing to me, to hear them all drool over guys like that. I

"Alrighty...." Kate said as she stood up and laughed more. "How about we play a game!!?" Everyone cheered and laughed when she asked. "Okay, how about truth or dare?" She asked again, waiting for reactions.

"Yes!" Shouted Savannah, another one of my close friends I've known sence forever. "KATE! You first...Truth or Dare?" Savannah asked smileing at Kate.

"Truth...." She replied. All the girls groned at her answer. "Alright, fine! Dare!" She decided. Savannah turned and whispered to the girl next to her named Abbey. They both giggled, than sat up straight, with the answer.

"Okay.." Savannah said smiling. "I dare you to jump in the pool outside, in the clothes your wearing." Savannah said, now waiting for her reaction. I thought the dare was pretty lame, but thats the kind of stuff they did anyway. Kate smiled and noticed if she said no, everyone would throw her in anyway. So without saying a word, she walked out of the room with everyone laughing and running behind her. Our heals made thumping noises as we all jumped and ran down the stairs, pushing each other and goofing around. We all ran outside, with me VERY far behind them. No way I was getting near that cold pool. Kate was now at the edge of the pool, deciding if she really wanted to do this or not, but before she made up her mind, Abbey ran behind Kate and pushed her in. But Kate didn't go alone and instead reached for Abbey's arm while she was falling, pulling her into the cold pool with her. Everyone laughed at them, in wet t-shirts and spashing each other. Another girl named Hayley, jumped in with them turning it into a pool party in our day clothes. I backed away more and smiled as they each jumped in and spashed the concrete near me. Just as Savannah and two others girls were about to jump in with them, she turned and noticed me standing alone, in the doorway of Kate's house.

"Come on Alice!" She shouted at me. I only smiled and shook my head no. "Come on! Water isn't bad! It won't hurt you I promise!" She laughed now with everyone stopping and chiming in. I forgot, I think I told them all I had a fear of drowning or somthing, as an excuse whenever they invited me to a pool or beach. I looked at the water, and imagined the most painful feeling of it disolving my skin and burning me. I still shook my head with worried eyes, and avoided eye contact.

"Come on!" joined Abbey from the pool. "We'll cure you!" she laughed as if she knew the actual reason I avoided water. I backed away more but Savannah suprised me by  running and grabbing my arm, pulling me in the direction of the pool. I elbowed her in the stomach, but that only made her pull me faster. Another girl joined in and pushed me further and further towards the pool.

"No let me go!" I screamed, as I was a yard away. I started to panic and my eyes were tearing up. None of the girls understood why I was screaming and resisting and watched me as I was now at the edge of the pool. I could die right now, I thought in my head. This is how I'm going to die. The girls were silent as they held me by my arms at the edge. I couldn't even imagine the pain of being completly covered in cold water.

"STOP" Yelled a voice on the outside of the fence to the right of the pool. None of them could beleive their eyes. It was none other than Phil Coulson, from S.H.E.I.L.D. standing with two other agents and a helecopter now hovering above us. The girls immediatley realeased their grips on my arms and let my body fall and make a thud noise as I hit the concrete on my back. I exahiled a HUGE breath of smoke, kind of on accedent, and laughed while everyone watched me. My lips slowly turned a blackish purple as I let another breath out. It felt so amazing.

"Phil!" I cheered above the noise, as I sat up and walked towards him. I shook his hand as I walked next to him near the gate and AWAY from the pool, smiling and laughing, so freakin releaved that he came at such a perfect time. I turned and  faced my friends to watch their reactions. They were frozen and their mouths were wide open. They were the definition of speechless.

"Alice, would you mind coming with me?" He asked in a calm voice, handing me a futureistic computer tablet. I slitlly peeked at it as I realesed another small breath of smoke. I knew Phil wouldn't call me like this unless it was urgent, so I figured I would be exposed of my abilities soon anyway. Oh well, I thought. Let's just have a bit of fun now.

"Alice.....Who are these people?" Kate shouted over the noise of the helicopter above us. I laughed, a sort of evil laugh as I exhailed (on acident) a breath of fire this time. That freaked them out some more.  My toxic lungs felt so amazing. I laughed more when I realized my eyes were changing color too, which was even more amusing to me and now Phil Coulson, and the other two agents next to him as we were watching my nieve friend's reactions.

"Just some old friends." I replied shouting over the loud sounds, now very amused at their reactions. I smiled as Phil climed up the ladder from the helicopter and I follwed, waving at my friends when I reached the top.

"You could not have come at a better time." I told Phil when we finally were seatled inside the calmness of the futuristic helicopter.  He laughed and motioned for me to open the laptopish tablet I was still holding.