Interviews (Television)

The Panem family sat in front of their television late at night, feeling dread, boredom, and disgust. They didn't want to be watching the tribute interviews. They didn't need to learn anything more about the people that were going to be dead in less than two weeks. 

It was just another thing, these interviews, that added to the horror of the entire concept of the Hunger Games. 

Theatrical trumpets played through the speakers, and then a celebratory theme song blared out of the screen that signaled excitement and significance. The lights flashed over a stage and the camera zoomed in on the widely grinning face of Caesar Flickerman, who still looked as young as he had when he began hosting the Games. 

He was wearing dark forest green this year. His pinned hair was, of course, dark green, and his suit was a metallic green that gleamed under the lights. He stood up and raised his arms victoriously. The crowd of the Capitol screamed loudly for the host and he laughed triumphantly. 

He stood on an elevated stage with two simple seats. He waved to the crowd enthusiastically, shouting into his microphone, "Welcome all . . . To the hundredth annual Hunger Games!" 

The crowd only cheered louder as he took bows. 

"In just a few minutes we'll get to meet the tributes! And hold onto your seats, ladies and gentlemen, because this year . . . We've got a crazy pool of them! Let me hear your excitement!" 

The family stared blankly at the screen, unimpressed. 

"Without further ado, your first tribute, from the wizarding world district . . . Bellatrix Lestrange!" 

A pale woman with a bush of black crazy hair falling around her head and an even crazier grin walked onto the stage like she owned it, waving at the crowd and laughing with as much charisma as Caesar -- which is really saying something.

Caesar shook the tribute's hand and they both took a seat. 

"So, Bellatrix, the Games are a very new concept for you. What do you think of them?" Caesar asked. 

"Oh, I am very excited, Caesar. I can't wait to play with the tributes!" She spoke in a babyish voice, and at the end of her answer her psychotic grin grew even wider. 

"Well that's very exciting for all of us to hear, am I right, everybody?" Caesar turned to the crowd and yelled, "Huh? Huh?!" 

"And you have to tell me how your training went. Did you learn anything new . . .?" 

Bellatrix shook her head, a small laugh falling from her lips. "No, everything I need comes with a wand, so can we make sure to have one of those in the arena, eh?"

Caesar laughed. "I'll see what we can do. Ladies and gentlemen, the first tribute, Bellatrix Lestrange!" 

Bellatrix took Caesar's hand, stood with him, and all of their hands were raised as high as possible. Her eyes were wide orbs and her mouth was frozen open in a loud cackle as the crowd went crazy for her. 

The next tribute to walk out was a huge boy with tan skin and a sharp jaw. He was wearing an all-black tuxedo and looked very charming. He shook Caesar's hand with strength. 

"Let's give Jacob Black a hand, shall we?" Caesar started off, and Jacob nodded solemnly, turning the corners of his lips up a fraction. 

"So tell me, Jake . . . I can call you Jake, right?" Jacob nodded and Caesar continued, "Do you miss home at all?" 

"Of course I miss home. I had to leave my soulmate there. To come here and probably die." 

Caesar frowned. "A soulmate?"