ten - what a nuisance

APR, 1976
SLYTHERIN COMMON ROOM

After Camilla returned to the common room from the Hospital Wing, she flung the first thing she could reach at the opposite wall

After Camilla returned to the common room from the Hospital Wing, she flung the first thing she could reach at the opposite wall. It happened to be a lamp, which shattered with a satisfying crunch of glass and went out with a pop, the magic escaping. The several occupants turned in shock, and a few sniggered. However some had been around long enough to know when Camilla was in a dangerous, vindictive mood and left quietly. Out of those that remained, Camilla chose a particularly brave half-blood to attack. It was first time in months she'd directly gone for someone that wasn't one of those vile Marauders and she realised it felt good to be herself again.

For just a brief moment, she hesitated. Did she really want to get in trouble again? Could she risk it? Risk getting caught red-handed bullying a first-year? Then again, what punishment could be worse than being forced to work with Lupin for an eternity?

So, with a comfortable smirk on her face, she drew her wand sharply and pointed it right between the eyes of the eleven-year old girl.

"Get up." Terror rose on the first-year's face at those two words and Camilla silently revelled in it, the only signal of it the twitch at the corner of her lips. She still held power here. She was still feared.

'But do they respect you?' The little voice in her head (some would call it a conscience, Camilla called it a nuisance) began to yell at her while she blatantly ignored it like a child putting their hands over their ears. 'Do you really want to be like your parents?' Blah blah, she sung in her head, careful to pay no attention to herself. Her fingers curled tighter around her wand and she jabbed it at the girl, urging her to hurry up with narrowing eyes. The first-year leapt to her feet, clearly regretting not listening to any warnings she had been given about staying away from 'that Sanders girl', that she was 'bad news' and would probably 'put you in the Hospital Wing'.

"Please," the girl whimpered, backing away a little, searching for help with a panicked gaze. The onlookers watched on in sympathy, but didn't want to get involved, so left her helpless. Squirming, like a bug under a microscope. Camilla scoffed contemptuously at how pathetic they all were. Not even the seventh-years stood against her in defence of the weak. She supposed that's what happened when you were sorted into Slytherin. You got the cunning, the ambition, the power and prestige, but none of the courage to stand up for what was right. What a bunch of pitiful, meagre children. Muttering the Stinging Jinx under her breath, she flicked her wand with a snap.

The curse collided with the wall as it passed through the ghostly figure of the Bloody Baron way on the other side of the room.

The pale, transient being leapt up in surprise, and began yelling at Camilla furiously while she stalked to her dormitory, muttering to herself in a fury. 'That was the right thing to do', the nuisance told her. "Shut up," she mumbled.

△▽△

The occupants of the room all watched silently as Camilla swept away, upright, proud. Esther, the first-year girl, was still standing, and had begun to shake in delayed shock and terror. Her friend rushed forwards to comfort her while others whispered in groups.

Had Camilla Sanders just shown mercy? Could it really be true?