Episode 9: Could Have Been Nicer

Whenever I find myself stuck in my head I always go to the same place. Nan in the garden taking care of her "babies" as she likes to call them. Usually I'm close by jumping in the puddles while singing "Tarzan Boy" because it's a classic and I'm a ridiculous existence.

While I'm in my head trying to process things, Howl, told you I was calling him that now, and Benji came out of the police station. When they came up to the car no one says a thing. Even when Nan starts the car its really quiet. Honestly though I feel more sorry for Benji, he's between Strange and Howl. I like to think their glaring at each other but when they think the other isn't looking they side glance at the other.

"So anyone else enjoying the awkward silence? Cause I gotta tell ya I'm just loving it." I broke the silence when I couldn't take it anymore.

Howl chuckled, "Man where did you guys find this kid?"

"He found me." Benji's soft voice tickled my insides and hugged my heart. When I opened the mirror on the sun guard I found him blushing to his ears again.

"What kind of name is Crow?" Strange ignored his question with one of her own.

Howl just hummed, "What kind of name is Strange?" He threw back at her sounding amused. She humphed and that was the last I was paying attention when Nan tapped my knee to get my attention.

"You doin alright Pit?" Nan asked softly so the back seat wouldn't hear.

I nodded, "Yeah, I'm okay. I'm just shocked. I have a twin. My mother cheated on my father or was she with Strange's father first. I'm just confused and trying to process." I said looking at the road in front of me.

Nan sighed, "I'm sorry Pit. How bout we take your friends to the creek? That sound like fun youngins?" She said loud enough for the back seat to hear. Strange giggled nodding her head. Howl chuckled and I think I saw him shrug when I turned around to look at Benji who blushed instantly when our eyes met.

"Your Nan is cool." He said avoiding my eyes turning redder and redder the longer I looked at him.

Smiling I tapped his nose. "I know." I said turning back around.

"Well first lets stop at the house to get something to fill our bellies, get towels and things." She said humming a tune and tapping the steering wheel as she drove. Howl and Strange started joining the humming after a while and then Benji did too. Every little off key note was a strum at my heartstrings. Smiling I watched the world go by out the window, listening to the off key music. They should call themselves Car Tunes, it'd be the best.

When we got to the house I was filled to the brim with a kind of peace, not the cheesy kind, but you know when you have a moment in your life where, you don't know what's going to happen, but you know that because of everyone around you on your side is right there to lift you up when you fall... Okay so maybe the cheesy kind but hey what ever. I always loved coming here. The late night hot chocolate sessions. Stealing food while she cooks. I wonder if the fort is still-

I bolted out of the car so fast. When I got the door though I forgot its not unlocked. "Nan, hurry up!" To this day I will never admit out loud that my voice squeaked a little.

"Now what's got you all riled up Pit?" Nan asked looking at me like I grew two heads while she moves at the speed of a snail. I love you Nan, but come on.

"I'm not riled up, I have to pee." In my defence it was the best I could think up in ten seconds.

"What's up with you?" Strange asked me as she leans on my shoulder. Howl is laughing at me and Benji looks concerned.