twenty

July 25th, 1992

I was at McDonalds getting me a burger and fries. I was hungry as hell and I didn't go food shopping yet so I just came here to fill me up.

After I was done getting my food, I was about to walk out of the place when I ran into someone.

"Oh shit I-" I started.

I looked up and it was someone way too familiar. It was Devante. I haven't really seen him since I broke up with him so it was pretty awkward. Especially since I'm seeing Corey now. He did look a lot more healthier though. Like he hasn't been drinking or anything.

"Diana..." he said.

"Hi Devante..." I said.

"Hi. How are you?" he asked.

"Fine" I simply said. "How are you?".

"I'm good, better than I've been in a while" he told me.

"That's nice...." I said.

"I haven't drinked since April, I've been sober for three months now..." he said.

"That's great De, I'm proud that you're getting better" I told him.

"Yeah..." he said. "You know I really miss you Diana".

"Really Devante" I scoffed.

"Yeah really, don't you?" he wondered.

".... I mean..." I started. Totally avoiding to tell him about Corey.

"Um, can you come over my place today?" he asked me.

"For what?" I wondered.

"I wanna show you something" he told me.

"Show something... like what?" I asked.

"It's a surprise B, it's something important for me and you, just come" he said.

I wasn't sure if I could trust De again yet. This could all just be a ploy to get in my pants. Luckily, I was already going out with Corey tonight.

"Uh... I can't, imma be busy tonight" I said.

"Oh..." he said with a frown on his face.

"Sorry De" I said.

"It's cool, I'll see you around Diana" he said as he walked away onto the line.

I walked back to my car and sighed. That was awkward. I started my car and drove back home.

at the crib

"And then he's gonna be all like, can you come over tonight. Like I'm just gonna oblige and go after what happened" I said on the phone with Madison.

"I think he was trying to slowly get in your pants again, not that it's a bad thing but-" Madison said.

"Well I'm not buying it, I like Corey now and if nigga is just gonna try to mess with me to "take him back" it's not gonna work" I said.

"Well... you said that he's sober now right. Maybe he wants to show you something cool" Madison thought.

"I doubt it" I said.

"Well Diana, I mean, I was at Uptown last week and I saw that Devante was in the studio writing something" she told me.

"Writing?" I wondered. "Jodeci's next album isn't coming out til all the way next year".

"I don't know but I saw him writing something. Maybe he was gonna show you his songs" she suggested.

"I'm still not going, I'm good with Corey" I said.