Chapter 11: An Unexpected Party

(Arulla's P.O.V.)

"Dwalin. At your service." I hear the dwarf say.

Dwalin was my father's closest friend. But I only saw him from far away. I doubt he would recognize me. I lean in closer, hugging the archway wall, hoping that he wouldn't see me. It didn't work. The dwarf walked through the archway and once he saw me, his gaze never left me.

"What's your name lass?" he asked gruffly.

I emerged from my hiding spot and removed my hood, "Aranel, Oiailmarë." I grab the sides of my cloak and bow down, "At your service."

The dwarf just looked at me and nodded his head gruffly and turned his heels, but stopped and turned back around,

"A dwarf who was raised by Elves?" he asked.

I nod, "My father died during the firestorm and my mother died protecting me. So, the Elves took me in."

Dwalin nodded and continued his way into the kitchen. Apparently searching for supper. He found it, but it wasn't his. It was Bilbo's, but the stubborn dwarf didn't care. His mouth was filled with food when he began to speak again,

"Very good this. Anymore?"

He threw his bones behind him and continued to eat. Bilbo produced a basket full of cornbread and took one for himself and gave the rest to Dwalin. Dwalin's eyes lingered until he found mine again.

"My brother Balin has a contract for you to sign if you are to be coming with us. I would better sign it before our leader comes. He's not too fond of women joining dangerous adventures. Basically because he deems them unworthy."

I scoff, "Well he hasn't met me yet. But thank you for letting me know that. It was very helpful."

Dwalin nodded and we heard another knock on the door. Bilbo goes to answer it and Dwalin moves from his seat by the table to the living room, searching the jars for more food. I walk over to Bilbo who was just about to answer the door. When the door swings open, I gasp in happiness. The person who stood before me was Balin. He was one of my mother's deepest friends in the mountain and I saw him more often than not. It would not be so easily to convince him of my secret identity. I quickly move to the edge of the hallway so I would not be seen.

"Balin." he smiled, "At your sevice."

"Good Evening." Bilbo says amazed.

Balin smiled again and looked to the sky, "Yes. Yes it is. Although I think it might rain later. Am I late?"

Bilbo looked confused, "Late for what?"

Balin looked over, only to see Dwalin, shoving his hand in a jar, trying I believe to get the contents out.

"Oh!" Balin chuckled, "Evening brother." Dwalin chuckled and the reunion of brothers commenced. I smiled at the happy pair, but my smile dissapeared when Dwalin pointed a finger at me and said,

"It seems Gandalf has invited a lass to come with us."

I removed my hood and bowed slightly, "Aranel, at your service."

Balin chuckled "A pleasure."

And reached into his shirt and pulled out a contract. I kept my head down and he handed me the contract saying,

"Well if this lass wants to come, she should sign this now before 'You know who comes' "

I snatch the contract from his hand and quickly sign it without looking up at him. I hand it back to him and was about to leave the room until Balin called out to me,