Chapter 30

There was a letter from the summer castle, my heart raced at what my father would potentially say in that letter. Except I wouldn't know, because it was Elis' writing not my fathers. His letter was simple, no tip toeing around the topic.

     "Dear Evie,

              Slator has yet to speak to me, let alone I to him, but I know that he won't try anything like this any time soon. Not as long as you are in winter. I'm afraid that I don't know what is coming next. Autumn has sent little letters to summer telling us they still want to be left out of this, but it's hard to believe them. It's hard to believe any one. Don't send any information on your next move to me, just tell me if everyone made it safely to the castle.

            I'll keep doing what I promised you, stay strong Evie.

                                         - Prince Elis"

     His writing wasn't as neat as usual, and the bird this was delivered with was a rare one, not the usual doves the summer castle used. Palma gently took the letter out of my hands and re read it again. 

     "It's his, right?" I asked.

     We were all in one of the many ballrooms this castle has. It's were I had found Palma and Nazim training their acrobatic moves. Palma was as flexible and nimble as a snake, and just like one she could pounce at her prey without them not knowing what happened. I've actually gotten the chance to see her at full force before when she deemed me ready to train hand to hand combat with her, and it's safe to say that I was embarrassed for myself. She had me knocked on the hard summer ground one to many times to count.

     My Aunts warm dark face looked back up to me,"This is his. I'll send him one back telling him everything is fine." She patted the birds blue, almost purple, feathers right below its mouth. It's body fluffed out in comfort.

     "I thought it was from Slator too," she whispered and handed the letter back to me.

     I just sighed. "Well, I'll be down stairs. I think it's time I finally pay my prisoner the proper visit."

     "I'll go with you," Nazim said.

     "No, I just want it to him and I." 

     My cousin nodded his head, understanding. 

****

     My steps were silent as the wind when I had gotten to the bottom of the cave. The fire from the torches were starting to dim, and Clovis had a blanket wrapped around his body - dead asleep.

     Well, not as dead as I'd like.

     To wake him I strengthen the dying flames until the room heated up to uncomfortable. The lighting changed from orange to blue as the shadows danced along the cell.

     Clovis jolted up in the confusion, looking all around the room as his eyes adjusted. They finally landed on me, and he scoffed to himself.

     "Well, well, well, I guess I'm finally worthy enough for you to visit." His voice was dried from the lack of water.

     "Please, as if you are worthy of anything. If it was up to me, you'd be dead with the rest of your pathetic army."

     He sat up a bit more, shifting the blanket around his shoulders. "So why not kill me then?"

     I nodded to him, to the jacket he still wore around himself. "Because you have people who believe you are more valuable alive. I guess you can thank a human for saving your life - and your toes."