Having an Affair with My Soon-to-Be Stepdad [20]

James came from the doorway and stood over me, handkerchief in hand. He frowned at me angrily. "Why the hell did she just do that?"

"It's my fault," I mumbled, grabbing the handkerchief. I wiped my face and then stood up. "I told her that your text was from Jimmy...They're dating," I said, frowning.

"And why do you seem upset about that?" he asked, his face suddenly serious.

"I'm not," I said, grabbing my purse and pushing past him. "I have to go to the bathroom." I walked past him and to the hallway, entering the women's bathroom with a sigh. Was I really that selfish? Even though I didn't like Jimmy like that, I still felt jealous that he was dating Denise.

I turned as the door slammed open and James stormed into the bathroom. I looked around frantically. "What the hell are you doing in the women's bathroom?" I whispered harshly. The door was already sliding open.

James grabbed my arm and pulled me into a stall just as a waitress stepped in. He glared down at me as we waited for the lady to leave. When she did, he pulled me out of the stall and then out of the bathroom. "Let go of me!" I whispered angrily.

He didn't, but only dragged me out of the cafe and out onto the sidewalk, where he opened the passenger door to his Hybrid. "Get in," he said angrily.

I grudgingly got in and he shut the door behind me, going around to the side and getting in himself. We were silent for a while, me staring at my now red wrist and James pulling stubborn pieces of ice and caramel out of my hair. Suddenly, he put his hand down and placed it, gently, on my wrist. "Sorry," he said quietly.

I looked up and smiled. "It's okay."

"Mirage," he said, making my heart flutter. "Mirage, are you still seing this Jimmy guy?"

"No, of course not!" I said, putting my hand in his. "And I think you would know that...I mean we were together last night, remember?"

He nodded and stared down at the wheel. "Why...are you angry that he's...dating?"

"I'm not," I said, feeling suddenly assured of myself. "I'm really not...I was angry...I was jealous that Denise and Jimmy could be so...open about their relationship."

James looked over to me, his amber eyes reflecting anger. "I told you, after-"

"I know, after the pregnancy test. I just...I was...I don't know," I said, looking out the window.

"All I'm asking for is two weeks," he said. I was surprised to hear...desperation in his voice. "I just need you to trust me. I don't want to hurt your mother any more than I already need to," he said with a sigh.

I ran my thumb against his strong jawline. "I know," I said quietly.

We were quiet for another long while before James spoke again. "What are you gonna wear for the masquerade ball?"

"I don't know," I admitted. "I was thinking something like Medusa with like a-Why do you care?" I asked with a frown. "You probably want me to go as something slutty, don't you?"

He laughed. "You can only be slutty for me." I rolled my eyes. "I was actually thinking you could go with something innocent...But then I remembered last night," he said, snickering to himself.

"Wow," I said, looking down at my fingernails. "Thanks." I felt a little hurt that he would think that way of me. "I'm really glad you have such a great opinion of me."

He reached over and gently took a hold of my chin, forcing me to look up at him. He examined me for a while and then said slowly, "I'm glad I was your first."