22

Lyra (1)

"Why aren't you with your friends?"

Startled at the voice, I jumped, making me drop the basket of fruit in my hands. I sighed as I looked down at the variation of fruits in the snow.

My mother giggled. "I didn't mean to startle you." She walked over to me, "Here, let me help."

Before she could bend down, I stopped her. "It's okay mom. You just stand there and look pretty." While I bent down, I saw a warm smile appear on my mother's face. Ignoring the sensation the snow gave my hands, I showed my mother the now filled basket of fruit. "All done."

I put the fruit into the fruit cage for the ring-tailed winged lemurs. I closed the cage before looking to my mother again who cocked her brow at me with her arms crossed. "What?" I asked.

"Isn't the quarterfinal match tonight? What are you doing here?"

I shrugged. "Just doing some chores."

She sighed, "Are you and Mako having problems?"

I shook my head.

"Lyra," She frowned.

I shrugged, "We're not. I'd rather just stay home."

"Is it because you've never had to share before?"

I tensed up. Mother knows best. My bottom lip quivered and my mother pulled me into a hug when she noticed. "I thought you were going to tell him."

I stayed silent.

She soothed her hand down the back of my head. "Do you remember the story I told you? About a woman who was in love with a man but he was in a relationship?" My mother asked. I nodded into her shoulder. "...she knew he was making a mistake."

"Yes. And then she told him she loved him?"

I nodded once again.

"That woman and man: me and your father."

I pulled away from my mother's shoulder with wide eyes. "That was you and dad?!"

My mother lightly laughed while nodding. "Yes, it was. Everything ended up great after that day."

I slumped my shoulders. "You want me to confess."

"I do." My mother smiled.

"What makes you think I'm going to get the same outcome?" I asked her. "Mako's a... complicated dude."

"And you're stubborn, yet he loves you all the same."

I shook my head slowly. "You don't know how he feels about me."

"Neither do you. Until you tell him. Honey, don't you want closure? Before I told your father, it was eating me alive!"

I hugged myself with my bottom lip out.

"I know you're scared, honey... I'll be right here when you come home." My mother chuckled, "Not in this exact spot, it's a little chilly. But you know what I mean."

I nodded. "I should start heading out then."

My mother grabbed ahold of my hands and gave them a reassuring squeeze. "My baby is growing up."

I lightly laughed before pulling her into a hug. "See you later, mom." Before I left, I gave her thumbs up before leaving her there with the lemurs.

>>>

When I walked into the balcony, the match had already begun. Oops, I guess I'm a little late.

I don't see Asami around, which could be a good thing. Or she's in the bleachers... I hope I can get him alone.